Mauritania Travel Answers

change location
thetrespasser's Profile Photo

Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by thetrespasser Online Now Aug 21, 2005 at 11:20 PM

I am planning to travel from casablanca all the way into Mali by road without my own vehicle around the end of oct. '05 and then flying back from bamako. I have scheduled this journey for a month. I know its difficult to predict travelling times in the great desert but still I would like to know if I am way out of the mark especially since I would be hitching rides and public transport if any. Also I would appreciate suggestions and recent border conditions that exist between these countries. If anyone is planning to travel this route and willing to share the fuel then let me know.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Winksc's Profile Photo

RE: Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by Winksc Online Now Aug 22, 2005 at 2:45 AM

It should be possible In a month. In Gambia I met someone who had driven from UK in 6 weeks with plenty of stopping, your distance is much less.
    But I dont know how conditions at borders and checkpoints will have changed in Mauritania following the recent coup d'etat. I would take the time to find out because Mauritania is the only route from Morocco to Mali with the Algerian border being closed. Have Fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • thetrespasser's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by thetrespasser Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 8:23 AM

hey thanx for the tip .......... by the way whats the coup d'etat. and where can I get info on it.

• Winksc's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by Winksc Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 3:45 AM

Hi again

I was referring to the President of Mauritania who was removed from power by the army while he was out of the country. There was no fighting and things seem to be settling down. The best place to keep up to date is news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/af...

Good Luck

• Re: Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by michellehellgeth Online Now Apr 26, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Hi, Well I've spent 4 months in Morocco and travelled alone. I have a suggestion - have you considered landing in Ouarzazete and traveling from there into the sahara through erfoud and merzouga? I am planning a trip as well this fall and the monkey wrench is that ramadan starts the middle of Sept., which makes travelling a little more difficult. I've been there twice and actually addicted to the place. I also want toi doi Morocco to Mali this year and found your post while I was doing research. I'd be interested in what information you receive as well. I'm 64 and a semi-retired nurse and LOVE traveling the Sahara. What I think I shall do is fly into Ouarzazete and get all that norther (and ripoff people) out of the way and head right for the desert and mali via mauratania. You will find things a lot less expensive in the south and the people a little more warm and less pickpockets. Michelle

• Re: Overland from Morocco - Mauritania - Mali (Oct-Nov '05)

by arjuna3 Online Now Feb 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Hey there: I realize it has been years since you left this post, but I am curious to how your trip from Morocco to Mali went. I am planning a similar route for this spring. Would love to hear how you fared with both border crossings and public transportation. Thanks,
    Anthon

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Mauritania Travel Answer Locations