Mauriac Travel Answers

change location

Gites & What to do near Mauriac

by thomaschristian Online Now Mar 5, 2005 at 6:56 AM

Bonsoir,
We are about to book a gite in Drugeac, near Mauriac and would love to hear from anyone living in Auvergne or Limousin with ideas on what to do and where to visit. In particular any good drives, as we are hoping to bring our new Mini to france and also loving walking. I hear that there is really good food, especially beef and cheese in Auvergne. I would love to hear about these. Any advice on English guidebooks to the region would also be very helpful.

Many thanks
Helen

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

RE: Gites & What to do near Mauriac

by dnwitte Online Now Mar 5, 2005 at 10:08 AM

Just in case you don't already know about this:
    In any bookstore or souvenir shop or tobacconist you can pick up the IGN (Institut Geographique National) Maps. Pick the blue series and you will be offered a 1:25 scale obsessively detailed topographical map of your immediate region, showing the dense network of walking routes. Most of these are off road or on very tiny country roads, and I have found this the nicest way to see France. It's unlikely you will encounter anyone else but the occaisional farmer or forestry worker.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

RE: Gites & What to do near Mauriac

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 5, 2005 at 4:16 PM

You are going to an incredibly beautiful region. Check your Michelin maps for the green scenic routes. You have the Gorges of the Maronne and of the Dordogne to visit. Get a Michelin Green Guide for historic sights in the area.

The best way to find good food is ask the local people you meet. They always have excellent suggestions. The people you rent the gite from should be a big help to you.

Have a wonderful trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines