I want to go to Okavango and stay at an inexpensive canpsite in my own tent

Can anyone give me a recommendation

regards fred

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • raraavis's Profile Photo

RE: camping at okavango

by raraavis Online Now Apr 7, 2006 at 10:02 AM

There's some campsites outside the city of Maun.

http://www.dumelabotswana.com/maun.htm

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: camping at okavango

by BEADMAKER Online Now Apr 7, 2006 at 10:47 AM

I have been on safari 5 times to the Okavango. I strongly recommend you camp in a car with a camper shell or go with an expert tent safari guide. Build a huge camp fire. I have seen many things.

• raraavis's Profile Photo

RE: RE: camping at okavango

by raraavis Online Now Apr 7, 2006 at 11:30 AM

Lions??? A hyena came to us inside Moremi.

• Vikings's Profile Photo

by Vikings Online Now Apr 8, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Hi,
    I can recommend the following: "The Shell Tourist Map % Travel guide to Botswana" by Veronica Roodt. ISBN 99912-0-157-2. This book has lots of info on camping.
    Try Audi Camp just outside Maun. Or closer to South Gate (Moremi) there is another camp site. Obviously you can camp inside Moremi as well.

As for the tent, a normal tent is also good. Sure, a hyena might visit, but if you are careful there should not be a problem (have done this twice before). The campsite at North Gate in Moremi is a bit noisy with all the animals, and sleeping might be a bit difficult at first.

Camping inside Moremi is still a bit expensive but the cheapest you going to find inside the part.

Driving from one of the camps close to Maun, and visiting Moremi for a day is a bit tiresome.

Enjoy !

Samuel

• Park1's Profile Photo

by Park1 Online Now Apr 16, 2006 at 1:33 PM

When you say Okavango there are a few options. Just outside Maun is Audi Camp, where you can camp in your own tent at a very reasonable price. There is no game here, you have to travel up into Moremi for that, however you need a 4X4. North Gate is a good spot. Audi camp will take you on day trips.
    This is basically the eastern side of Okavango Delta. On the western side you do not have the wildlife but it is more focused on fishing. There are many places here, but to recomend a couple - Guma Lagoon campsite is excellent, Shikawe fishing Lodge or Tsodilo lodge.
    Howard

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines