Maui Travel Answers

change location
sylv2's Profile Photo

Car hire

by sylv2 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hi,
Our TA has recommended we hire a car while visiting Maui in September 2013. It seems it is an hours drive from the airport to Kaanapali. We will have come from Australia and wonder if we will feel up to driving for an hour on arrival. Also we probably do not need a car on the first or last day.
Is it feasible to get transfers to and from the airport and pick up and drop off a hire car in or near Kaanapali?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Car hire

by xymmot Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Either way, the rental is cheaper than paying for a taxi to the hotel. I like picking up my car at the airport and then returning it there when it's time to leave. But if you have the dough, getting served is the way to go. Help the economy of the service workers in Maui, they do appriciate it.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Aloha, A car is a must on Maui. Many of the things to do are by car, top of Haleakala (see it at sunrise), Hana Hwy and the 'Ohe'o Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools), The towns of Paia with Mama's Fish House and the cowboy (Paniolo) upcountry with the artist area of Makawao, as well as the winery at the end of the road, Tedeschi Vineyards. Try their pineapple wine. In Kaanapali, you will have the use of a trolley, so the car is for the magnificent drives. Maui is No Ka 'Oi. :-)

1 member found this helpful

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

As to your exact questions, it is a long flight and there are shuttle buses to and from Ka'anapali and rent-a-car locations are near the Hotel Circle of Ka'anapali. I like Budget rent-a-car, located at the West Maui Airport in Ka'anapali. See: locations.budget.com/hi/kaan...

• trickydick's Profile Photo

by trickydick Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

YOU almost have to have a car. yes you can get around, there is public transport that is good but not frequent enough
    There are so many places to drive to,and the freedom to come and go is invaluable.
    YES you can wait, get a taxi or shuttle from the airport to your destination in Kaanapali, no problem. However, I would still suggest a car from the start. Cheaper for one, and you can stock up on groceries,etc and then really relax with everythng you need
    enjoy!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Depending on what time your arrival is at the airport, I think the car rental is advisable. A taxi will cost quite a bit for the drive to and back to the airport. Driving during daylight is not so bad but night time - it's quite dark if the moon isn't out and you may not like that and perhaps a one night stay near the airport until the morning might be better option for you. Hope you have a great trip! Maui is beautiful! Have lots posted on my Maui travel page, "Maui Vacation!" - Maui by GracesTrips

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Aloha nui...........d:o)

First of all, it takes no hour to drive from Kahului to Ka'anapali. It is a half hour ride. Yes there are airport shuttles, so technically you don't need a car until next day. There are three main reasons for a car on Maui for a visitor. A trip (half day)up to the top of Haleakala volcano. (Best time is to get there to the top before sunrise. Spectacular! A full day trip to Hana. An absolute must. One of the most sperctacular drives on the planet. A trip (half day) to Iao Needle. There are others but these are the main ones, and more would be dictated by how much time you have.

If you research these three options, and decide you don't want any of them, - THEN you do not need a car. There is regular transport from Kaanapali into the main tourism town of Lahaina, three miles away. There are also excursions you cannot do with a car, such as the Haleakala "bike down the mountain" (10.000 feet) trip, where you are driven to the top, and then you switch to a heavyduty bike, and ride/coast all the way down the mountain. It is an experience to savor.

All that said, - I have plenty of information on Maui. I lived in Lahaina for several years, and my Maui is one of the places in the world where I feel truly at home. Let me know, and I will shower you with all you need to know

Aloha nui loa..........d:o)

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

G'day, mate. Well, there you have it. Consensus says get a car. You can wait till you get to Ka'anapali, but it is less expensive to drive from the airport to your accommodations in the rental vehicle, as you may want to have a shout out from your mate at the Buzz's Wharf, it is a fair dinkum tropical restaurant, half way to Ka'anapali only 20 minutes to get there and only 15 minutes from the Kahului Airport. Mai Tai is the house specialty and a pupu to go with it, starts the holiday off to a great start. See: buzzswharf.com/pages/menus/T...

• sylv2's Profile Photo

by sylv2 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Thank you all! Car from the airport it is. We arrive around 10:30 am so that's not too bad. I am sure we will have slept at least a few hours. And it is only half an hour which is good. It's just that when I am very tired I will confess to anything!

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Remember, don't be too tired to forget to put your luggage in the boot. :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Maui Travel Answer Locations