Matsumoto Travel Answers

change location
Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Alpico and Keio Bus b/w Matsumoto & Tokyo

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Alpico and Keio Bus b/w Matsumoto & Tokyo
Hi Guys,
Anyone know for sure whether these buses have toilet on board?
Is reservation required for these buses?

I mananaged to get Alpico Bus' English page for Matsumoto route's schedule but nothing else...

Thanks,
Mel

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Alpico and Keio Bus b/w Matsumoto & Tokyo

by dru46 Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I took a look and found out that the S Class buses do have toilets.  As for the other buses, not sure. Both the Keio and Alpico buses share the route, so you can use the Alpico site to reserve tickets for both, if you want to.

alpico.co.jp/access/express/...

If you look at the site, you can see that the top schedule is from Matsumoto to Tokyo, and the second set is the return to Matsumoto. The times with an "S" logo on top are the S class buses

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I took a look and found out that the S Class buses do have toilets.  As for the other buses, not sure. Both the Keio and Alpico buses share the route, so you can use the Alpico site to reserve tickets for both, if you want to.

alpico.co.jp/access/express/...

If you look at the site, you can see that the top schedule is from Matsumoto to Tokyo, and the second set is the return to Matsumoto. The times with an "S" logo on top are the S class buses, but not all seats are S Class.

• Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hi Dru46,

Thanks very much for your assistance! The S Class is the same price as the usual non S Class bus?

Mel

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Another thing... I looked at the website and noticed the pricing for Matsumoto to Shiinjuku :
    1 way Y3,400. A Block of 2 coupons Y5,950.
    If I have 3 persons traveling together would we be able to buy the Block of 2 Coupons (Y5,950) and 1 normal ticket (Y3,400)? Thus, it will only cost us Y3,117 each, once combined and divided by 3?

Mel

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The S Class has regular seats. There is a seating chart if you click on the S Class information.

In terms of buying a block of tickets, I don't know. They are meant for people travelling a lot, not for groups of people. You can always buy round trip tickets instead. If you go to the station and get the tickets, you won't have problems.

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Hi Dru,

May I just clarify here that I am correct in assuming (after seeing the S Class page) that :
    1. The S Class Bus has normal seats as well as limited S Class seats (which costs 1000yen more). If not buying the S Class seats then the price is the same as when we travel on non-S Class bus.
    2. Keio and Alpico Bus are operated by the same people? Like Code share on airlines? So what bus we get depends on which time we travel? I assume both buses are same in quality? Or is 1 better than the other?
    3. If we buy the return ticket it needs to be used up within 1 week? I probably will be longer - intend to do Matsumoto (1 night) - Takayama (2 nights) - Kanazawa (3 nights) - Toyama (2 nights) - Alpine Route - Matsumoto (1 night) - tokyo.
    4. Love the toilet... Not that I am obsessive or anything ;-)

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Sep 20, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Just a quick warning, my Japanese is not great, but I can answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Yes, as far as I can tell, the S-class seats are only 1000 yen more than regular seats, and they have regular seats available. Think of business class and economy class.

2. Yes, it is like a code share. As far as I can tell, the buses are of the same quality.

3. Yes, but you can also buy a block of 2 tickets that are the same price as a round trip ticket, but valid for 3 months. Go figure.

4. Hopefully the toilet isn't reserved for S class passengers only. Seems silly if it was. :)

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM

LOL... Ur response about the toilet is funny... Imagine that!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines