Matsumoto Travel Answers

change location
owyewwah's Profile Photo

Cherry blossom?

by owyewwah Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Hi, I am interested to view cherry blossom in Japan, but I am told it is kind of late for some of the popular areas like the cities, Tokyo and Osaka, by the time I visit in 2nd week of April. I am told Nagano would be a good place, got chance, I checked Japan-guide.com and realized Matsumoto is one of the places for viewing cherry blossom even in April. I intend to travel to Nagano via Tokyo and I will make short trips to Matsumoto during the my stay at Nagano, does this sound good enough? I come from Singapore. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Cherry blossom?

by xymmot Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

come to Washington DC, they are schedule to pop April 5th

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • owyewwah's Profile Photo

by owyewwah Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Thanks.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Matsumoto is very beautiful during cherry blossom season. That website you went to is the best source for when to view them. The trees around Matsumoto Castle are amazing! It's a very nice place to go for it. Also, you might want to visit Kyoto which is THE best place for cherry blossom viewing, but make sure you check japan-guide.com to ensure there is still some to see in April. Enjoy!

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

There is no guarantee. The blooms are early this year, starting with plum blossoms and cherry is happening now. Don't plan a trip only for the blossoms, you will probably be disappointed.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I was checking http://sakura.weathermap.jp/ which is a good Japanese site for the predictions, along with estimates for when the blossoms will fall off. Looks like Nagano is your best bet. Areas around Matsumoto seem to have bloomed already. Nagano will probably see it a bit later so you'd have to go early in your trip. Expected peak is the 14th, and ending around the 18th.

As mentioned, don't plan for the blossoms. Go and see it if you can but have contingencies.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:29 AM

There have been some unusually hot days in Japan lately, the flowers are blooming faster. Check the Sakura map that Dru mentioned, if cherry blossom is the main reason for visiting Nagano and Matsumoto. But, those places are really nice even without cherry blossom. :)

• Jousy's Profile Photo

by Jousy Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Yes... It's bloomed.. They came slightly early this year.

• Jousy's Profile Photo

by Jousy Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM

jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index....
    This is a good site to see the forecast dates of Sakura. You can try up north Japan!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines