Matamata Travel Answers

change location

TRANSPORT HELP PLEASE!

by ggracee Online Now Sep 27, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Hi, i need to get from totara springs centre to matamata, is it close enough to walk or is there a taxi company i can call? ALSO... i then need to get to Hamilton from Matamata! But i'm finding it hard to navigate around the bus website. Please help with any tips or info! cheers, Grace.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

TRANSPORT HELP PLEASE!

by kiwi Online Now Sep 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Totara Springs camp is about 5kms from Matamata so would be quite a walk, especially with bags. As well it's a very busy road, I wouldn't recommend walking along. However there is often staff or someone driving to town, if they know you want a ride, will oblige. Many people find themselves in your predicament and the staff are very helpful. You won't be stranded.
    There is a local taxi, which I recommend. Kaimai Taxis - tel 07 8887063.

As for getting to Hamilton, the bus company is:
    http://www.intercity.co.nz/timetable/

One point to note is there are not very many services to Matamata, however if you can get a ride to Tirau, about 11kms away, that town is on State Highway No.1, which is the country's main arterial route, and has many many more services to Hamilton.
    It's also quite likely you can arrange a ride to Hamilton anyway.
    Hope you enjoy your stay at Totara Springs :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

TRANSPORT HELP PLEASE!

by kiwi Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Ooops I forgot where I was measuring from, Tirau is closer to 20kms away :-)

• Re: TRANSPORT HELP PLEASE!

by AlexBean Online Now Oct 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Think about renting a car as an option. Traveling by bus is very restrictive.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

TRANSPORT HELP PLEASE!

by kiwi Online Now Oct 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Well it's not feasible to rent a car from Totara Springs to Matamata - you need to get to Matamata to pick up the car :-)

And for getting to Hamilton, how do you get the rental car back to Matamata.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines