Masai Mara Game Reserve

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• May in Mara

by Shrimper57 Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 3:57 AM

We are going to Governors Camp in mid May 2014. Has anyone got a view of what the weather could be and also how prolific will the wildlife be at that time of year. Thanks

more
    • May in Mara

by Shrimper57 Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 3:57 AM

We are going to Governors Camp in mid May 2014. Has anyone got a view of what the weather could be and also how prolific will the wildlife be at that time of year. Thanks

2 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 3:21 AM
    • Game drive costs

by bloomeonthego Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM

What is the typical cost to do a game drive? Can you request a time? When is the best time to do game drives? From my research it appears morning and late afternoon may be best. My preference is obviously to see what I can and to organize my time that makes the most sense. I will be traveling in mid July 2014. In advance, thank you!

7 Answers Mar 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    • Safety driving from Nairobi to Masai Mara

by spk2 Online Now Mar 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM

How safe is the drive from Nairobi airport to the Masai Game Reserve Area?

7 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    • Travel mates for safari

by tjcabell Online Now Jan 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Hi, me and my boyfriend are doing a 4 day safari from Nairobi to Masai Mara (3 days) and Lake Nakuru (1 day). We are most certainly departing from Nairobi on february 9th. Anyone interested in travelling with us and sharing costs? We already have a tour operator contacted that a friend recommend us. We are also flexible with the dates. Let us know!

2 Answers Jan 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM
    • Massai Mara in November

by amilomer Online Now Nov 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The weather forecast says its going to rain between 12th and 15th November, the same days that I plan to visit. Do you think its worth going? or will I see no animals because of the rain?

3 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    • Lake Nakuru. Is it worth it?

by Beynaz Online Now Jul 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Our itinerary currently consists of 4 days in the Masai Mara. I have come across some mixed reviews about Lake Nakuru. I also read somewhere that there aren't that many flamingoes any longer in Lake Nakuru. Do you think it's worth the drive (5 hours from Masai Mara) to spend one day there? Should we stay at the Masai Mara one more day or take that trip to Lake Nakuru? Or do you have any other suggestions for what we could do for that one day?

Thanks!
      Beynaz

7 Answers Jul 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    • how to go to Lake Manyara from Masai Mara?

by Ekiniz Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Does any body can suggest an itinerary on how to go from Masai Mara to Lake Manyara?

2 Answers Apr 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    • Masai Mara or Serengeti in mid November?

by takiyahstep Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm trying to plan a safari for my honeymoon in November, but I keep reading conflicting information. Would I be better off visiting Masai Mara or the Serengeti in mid November? Is this heavy rain season for either of these regions and what would be our chances of actually spotting game during this time? We are interested in seeing the big 5, of course, as well as other wildlife if possible. Any tour recommendations and/or camps/lodges suggestions would be of great help. I've been looking at Kensignton Tours...has anyone ever toured with them?

6 Answers Sep 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM
    • Mara in June a good time for photography?

by Girisho Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I am planning to visit Masai Mara around June 20th. Primary objective is photography. I am aware that the migration may not start by then. I am ok with it. But my question is, is it good time to spot all other animals?. I heard grass will be tall that time and photographing will be difficult. Is it true?

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers May 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    • amberabbotsford's Profile Photo

Looking for best Safari experience with family of 5

by amberabbotsford Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hi there. I am new to Virtual Tourist but would like to ask for advice on booking a 3 night Safari at Masai Mara. Travelling with my husband and 3 boys ages 17,14,12. I have looked at many different options for accomodations but have decided that a luxury tent at a smaller property is what we prefer. We would like to include private game drives in a 4 X 4 open jeep. There are SO many options that I feel overwhelmed with deciding on a property. I am looking at the Fairmont Safari Club as I have heard many good things about it but wonder if it's too big of a camp and we might not get the personalized unique experience we are hoping for.

3 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    • Advise for Masia mara trip this Dec 2012/Jan 2013

by jainbs Online Now Sep 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM

hello, i am from India and planning 5 nights masai mara trip (no lakes), just the game reserve. i do not know how the weather would be and where to stay/how to book guides etc. My budget is 1000USD/2 people and would like to be in the game reserve all 5 days going on safari. Can someone suggest the weather, accomodation, guides and the fees for 5 nights.
      I plan to fly to Nairobi. Your advise to go to Masai mara from Nairobi is also appreciated. Thank you in advance.

9 Answers Sep 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    • nilin's Profile Photo

Maasai Mara natural reserve Fees

by nilin Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Dear Vter's,

I'm planning for a trip to Nairobi & Masai Mara in August. I need reply on following:

1) Masai Mara reserve fees is USD 70/night. Is it payable for each night of stay or one time online. we are spending 2 nights in reserve.
      I've checked website of Narok city council, as per that "Daily fees” means fee for one day/ twenty four hours or thereof continuous stay within a specified site in the Maasai Game Reserve.

Is that means we've to pay total USD 70 for our stay, as we will stay inside Reserve and making only 1 entry. Please confirm.

2) We are group of 6 persons with 2 children, looking forward to arrange transportation facility by ourselves, instead of tour package, in order to do things as per our convinience. Any recommendations.

3) Our flight is reaching 2.30 am to Nairobi. Is it safe to start driving for Masai Mara around 4.30am/5.00am in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

regards
      Nilin

2 Answers Jun 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    • What is a November safari like?!

by PeckyJoJo Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I'm planning on going to the Masai Mara on a four day safari around 20th November 2011 (staying at Mara Intrepids) and just wondering if anyone else has been at this time of year? If so, please could you give me an idea of what to expect in the way of wildlife? Plus any tips you can think of?! (It's my first time outside of Europe, let alone to Africa on safari!) Thanks : )

3 Answers Nov 13, 2011 at 3:58 AM
    • Masaii Mara

by arthurgannon Online Now Oct 6, 2011 at 6:49 AM

on a tight budget wishing to visit Masaii Mara around Nov 22 2011
      I want a wildlife drive & to stay in a campsite using tent & equipment for a 1 or 3 day stay. Prices quoted so far are way beyond my budget. Can anyone help?
      Alternatively I could go for a day's visit, incorporating a wildlife drive. How much is this & please could you suggest who to go with? Or perhaps another cheaper game reseve could you suggest?

9 Answers Nov 13, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    • samitbabu's Profile Photo

Masai Mara to Mombasa

by samitbabu Online Now May 14, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Hi All,
      We ( a team of 4 adults and 2 children) are planning for a Kenya trip this Aug end.
      I would like to have a safari trip originating at Nairobi for Masai Mara and ultimately ending at Mombassa.
      Is this possible ? Has anyone have similar experiences?
      If so, can you kindly provide me the link/contacts for the organizer?
      We have about 4-5 days for this trip and would be going on luxury terms/ but with mostly basic comforts.
      All suggestions are welcome.
      Thanks in advance.

14 Answers Nov 13, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    • Catpurring's Profile Photo

Students on Me to We

by Catpurring Online Now Feb 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Has anyone on VT ever been on a student trip with the Me to We organization. I would be interested in your comments.

Thanks
      Catpurring

1 Answer Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    • Is Masai Mara low risk for malaria

by pinkgirl25 Online Now Aug 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I will be staying in the Masai Mara for 3 days,Lake Nakuru for 2 days and 1 night in Nairobi at the end of October. I saw the nurse at my GP surgery last week for advise for injections and malaria. I have had the recommended jabs but she said that there is only a low risk of malaria and therefore I didn't have to take any tablets. I was surprised at this - Lake Nakuru is shown as low risk on the Travax website which health professionals use but to me it looks as if the Masai Mara is in an area which has a substantial risk. I am now worried that I may have been given incorrect advise and should seek a second opinion. I would be grateful for any advise. Thanks

18 Answers Aug 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    • Masai Mara or Lake Nakaru?

by africatraveler123 Online Now Aug 11, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Does anybody have recommendations on whether it would be better to do a 4 day Masai Mara tour (Nairobi - Masai Mara, so losing half a day on both ends), or to do a 4 day Masai Mara with Lake Nakaru tour? From itineraries it looks as though I would lose a full Masai Mara day to go to Lake Nakaru. Is it worth it? I'm most interested in seeing big cats and the wildebeest migration, but want to see wildlife in general. Thanks!

12 Answers Nov 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    • Sameco Tours?

by foodiefloozie Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Hi All

Has anyone used Sameco tours and would they recommend them? The iterniary they proposed looks great but I would like a recommendation if possible?

Many thanks

2 Answers Jul 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    • mara bush camp - internet

by dawoifal426 Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM

safaricom is e.g. "offering a USB 3g/EDGE modem for 2000 KES, which comes with a sim card."

question: does anyone have experience if it works in the mara bush camp area marabushcamp.com/en/guest-in... ?

thanks for your help.
      wolfgang, vienna, austria

4 Answers Jul 7, 2010 at 2:32 AM
    • Oloolaimutia village

by Bubfn Online Now Jun 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I have seen photos taken of a Masai village, Oloolaimutia village, in the Masai Mara Resrve. Does anyone know the location of this village? The siaze of the village?

2 Answers Jun 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    • john_from_brum_uk's Profile Photo

Private Campsites

by john_from_brum_uk Online Now Jan 30, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Towards the end of our 2 weeks self-drive around some of Kenya in mid July we are going to spend 2/4/5 days in the Mara.

Having used similar sites in Mana Pools, we are hoping to stay at one of the Private Campsites.

Does anybody any experiences / preferences ?

The Mara Triangle recommends hiring a couple of askaris for "night-time security". Is this in respect of visits from animals (not so much a problem) or people (may be a bigger problem) ?

5 Answers May 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    • HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Safari Suggestions

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Jan 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hello all. I'm going to be heading to Kenya for some field work, and at the end of the week some of us were thinking of tacking on a 2 or 3 day safari excursion to Masai Mara Park. However, there are literally hundreds out there, and so trying to sort through them has been a Herculean task. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to outfitters that are good, reliable, and reasonably priced (don't have an exact figure for that, since none of us have gone before). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

7 Answers Mar 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    • Safari Time: When is the best time to go on a Safari in the Masai Mara?

by ParkStreet6 Online Now Sep 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Hi all,

I am visiting both Masai Mara and Serengeti this October. I have been given 2 safari options. One is to start for an early game drive at 6 AM and complete the safari at 10 AM and again do an afternoon game drive. The other option is to start the game drive after breakfast at around 8.30 AM and continue on the safari till 6 PM. That means we are on the safari the whole day without returning to camp till evening. My question is: Which will be the better option? I want to see the Big Five as well as the Wilder Beast Migration. If I start after 8.30 AM, will I still be able to view the big cats or is it better to start early at 6 and return, then start again for a late afternoon game drive.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

6 Answers Sep 30, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    • Cheapest Baloon Ride

by kcpingle Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 2:48 AM

What is the cheapest Baloon Ride in End September ? USD 450 and all - its very costly for salaried people like us, going with a family of four. Kids has discounts ?

Also please let us know the cheapest ( and proximity wise best ) hotel/lodge/camp in Masai Mara ?

1 Answer Nov 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    • October Weather in Mara: good for safari?

by ParkStreet6 Online Now Sep 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hi,

What will be the weather in Masai Mara be like this October? We are from India and have been informed of the forecasts, which predict heavy rains starting from October. As we will be doing our safari in the Mara this Oct beginning, we like to know what the chances are of seeing the Big Five & the Migrating animals and whether rains would play spoilsport. We are also travelling to Serengeti, for your information.

Any help?

Thanks.

7 Answers Sep 25, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    • Camera for Masai Mara Safari in Africa

by jakncoke Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Hi All-
      I'm going on a 3-day safari in Masai Mara in Africa and looking to buy a new camera. Suggestions on which may be the most suitable for this trip? Currently, I am leaning toward the Canon SX1 is which has 20x zoom and can get me to 580mm. I like the idea that is less bulky than bringing multiple lenses with an SLR. I am a photo enthusiast, but not a professional photographer. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

5 Answers Jun 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    • Pollyanna1's Profile Photo

Mara Hippo Safari Lodge

by Pollyanna1 Online Now Jul 28, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Has anyone stayed here? - I would be interested to hear what it's like.

5 Answers Aug 11, 2007 at 3:33 AM
    • Sarahxxx's Profile Photo

Governors Camp

by Sarahxxx Online Now May 15, 2007 at 4:52 AM

Hello
      Planning to go to Governors Camp for my Honeymoon in
      September for 4 nights, but not sure what camp to stay in. There is:
      Governors Camp
      Little Governors Camp
      Governors llmoran Camp
      Private Camp
      As its our honeymoon would like something a bit special. Anyone been and stayed in these camps?

4 Answers Sep 22, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    • sarahskinner's Profile Photo

Public Camping in the Masai Mara

by sarahskinner Online Now May 2, 2007 at 1:52 AM

I have been to the Masai several times over the last two years, usually staying at Kicheche camp. We now wish to self drive, can anyone suggest where to camp?... I believe there are public campsites, if so, where? what is the process, where do we book, are they safe etc. We would prefer to stay near to the Marsh area (gov camp) but I am not sure if there are any public campsites there. We are planning to visit Aug, Sept or Oct. We are also going to use Roving rovers (supply old range rover with roof tent) any one used these before?

Thanks for your help and hope someone can shed some light!

Sarah

2 Answers Jan 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM