Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location
amberabbotsford's Profile Photo

Looking for best Safari experience with family of 5

by amberabbotsford Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hi there. I am new to Virtual Tourist but would like to ask for advice on booking a 3 night Safari at Masai Mara. Travelling with my husband and 3 boys ages 17,14,12. I have looked at many different options for accomodations but have decided that a luxury tent at a smaller property is what we prefer. We would like to include private game drives in a 4 X 4 open jeep. There are SO many options that I feel overwhelmed with deciding on a property. I am looking at the Fairmont Safari Club as I have heard many good things about it but wonder if it's too big of a camp and we might not get the personalized unique experience we are hoping for.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for best Safari experience with family of 5

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My brother and sister in law were full of enthusiasm for the tour they did about 18 months ago. This is an extract from their email, unfortunately the photos they also sent will not appear but you can see other photos the web site.

"Governors' camps in the Masai Mara have a very good reputation and we loved Little Governors - just 17 tents around a swamp which means the animals come and go all day - although you have the added exercise of crossing the Mara River to get from the camp to the vehicles every time you go out for a game drive. Friends in our village went to the main Governors camp which has around 36 tents and they were rapturous about their holiday.
    Take a look at
    www.governorscamp.com
    and you will see a description and video of each of the camps."

If only we were a little younger and in better health we would have been off!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Oh - and I should have said Welcome to VT!

• Natalie_Infinite's Profile Photo

by Natalie_Infinite Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Hello
    I have not been myself to the campsite you are mentioning. I am sure it will be an amazing experience no matter what. Will you have your own vehicle? We had our own vehicle and spent 4 nights in Crocodile Camp outside the park (which is so much cheaper) and hired than for the game drive a woman massai guide. I have been all over Africa in many many safaris but I can say that the Massai Mara with the private guidance of this girl was the best safari experience I ever had!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines