Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location
sarahskinner's Profile Photo

Public Camping in the Masai Mara

by sarahskinner Online Now May 2, 2007 at 1:52 AM

I have been to the Masai several times over the last two years, usually staying at Kicheche camp. We now wish to self drive, can anyone suggest where to camp?... I believe there are public campsites, if so, where? what is the process, where do we book, are they safe etc. We would prefer to stay near to the Marsh area (gov camp) but I am not sure if there are any public campsites there. We are planning to visit Aug, Sept or Oct. We are also going to use Roving rovers (supply old range rover with roof tent) any one used these before?

Thanks for your help and hope someone can shed some light!

Sarah

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Waxbag's Profile Photo

Re: Public Camping in the Masai Mara

by Waxbag Online Now Jun 26, 2007 at 9:16 AM

Riverside camp a Talek gate is a good option. It is located on the northern part of the park a bit far from the Marsh area. But it has a good camp ground and is near plenty of nice game areas. It's safe and the staff extremely friendly. Please check out my Masai Mara page for more detailed information. Have a great trip.

John

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • john_from_brum_uk's Profile Photo

Re: Public Camping in the Masai Mara

by john_from_brum_uk Online Now Jan 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM

We are also self-driving in Kenya later in the year but will be in the Mara in July.

Have you seen this site : http://www.maratriangle.org/camping/ ?

Also I understand that there is a public campsite close to the Serena Lodge at 1°24'3.49"S 35° 1'8.40"E.

We hope to use one of the private sites having used similar ones at Mana Pools - it was a great experience sitting on the banks of the Zambezi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines