Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location

Kenya in Feb

by miss.mc85 Online Now Jan 12, 2007 at 6:55 AM

I am going to Kenya for 2 weeks in Feb. I have no idea what I am going to be doing other than I would love to visit a game reserve. Can anyone tell me what Masai Mara is like and how much it costs to go for a few days? Also what is the cheapest way to get to the game park from Nairobi? thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Krumel's Profile Photo

RE: Kenya in Feb

by Krumel Online Now Jan 15, 2007 at 12:03 AM

I'm not sure that public transport is a good idea, as you will need to get around in the Reserve as well, you will need a car for that. So you can do either self-drive, or hire a driver/book a safari.

I personally would not advise self-drive, as you will be too busy concentrating on driving and will miss much of the wildlife. The safari guides are very experienced, and they will spot a lot of animals for you that you would probably have missed.

I did a tour in the Maasai Mara last February, and there is also a tip on my Kenya page about the safari company that I used.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Kenya in Feb

by Mwenyeji Online Now Jan 20, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Take 3 days at the Maasai Mara (Budget trip - with camping - may cost around Ksh 5,000 - 10,000 as part of a group.)

Take another 3 days in Mombasa/Malindi/Lamu. Hotel accomodation widely ranges... the cheaper ones would include those by African Safari Club in Msa... but you get what you pay for.

Take another 3 days at Lake Naivasha (Budget accomodation would be camping at Fisherman's Camp) - you can get the details on the internet.

If you can, a visit to the Laikipia area (eg Sweet Waters Tented Camp) is definitely worth it, but expensive (Ksh 16000 per night)

Some good mountain climbing options are available - Mount Kenya does not require any technical skills, and you can take a 3-day excursion to see the world from 6000m

Dont waste your first/ last day in Nairobi... use it to tour the Wildlife Orphanage, National Museum, Karen Blixen Museum, ostrich park, giraffe park etc.

Good Luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines