Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location

Heading to Masai Mara in end of July or end of August?

by snowkat80 Online Now May 17, 2006 at 8:43 AM

Hi,

My friend and I are looking at heading to the Mara this summer to see the migration. Does anyone think the end of july or the end of august would be better? Also I heard CC Safari's is a good company... anyone have any advice on them or advice for a different company we should use? We are looking for about a 5-6 day safari in Kenya and I dont mind roughing it if need be.

Thanks so much!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Heading to Masai Mara in end of July or end of August?

by Annieonnet Online Now May 17, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Not sure about time but if you check any of the game reserve lodges' sites in Masai Mara,there'll be information on when you can see the great migration.Also,the seasonal update will be there.
    We had taken Big Five in Tanzania.It was really very good.I forget their Kenyan counterpart that took us across the border from Kenya into Tanzania.And that was just as good.
    A last piece of unasked for advice...If I had to choose b/w the two,I'd go to Tanzania's Serengeti ,any day over Masai Mara.Been to both and feel Serengeti is 10 times better than Masai Mara.More animals to see,breathtaking landscape...go to Ngorongoro crater from there...beautiful!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • safardreams's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Heading to Masai Mara in end of July or end of August?

by safardreams Online Now May 17, 2006 at 5:39 PM

hi-your going july-august-you go the mara! thats where you belong. spend the whole time there-not including your flying days.seeing its only 5/6 days. dont sweat thinking its too long a time- it isnt. now if you said jan or feb-then you go the seren.of course park fees are going through the roof there in the seren these days.
    if you would like the company i used 6x's now, and request my regular masai driver-email me.
    so great your going.
    cheers, d

• Waxbag's Profile Photo

Re: Heading to Masai Mara in end of July or end of August?

by Waxbag Online Now Jun 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM

I would go in August, you have a better chance of seeing the Migration. The if the rains don't come until late you might not see the migration in July. The wildebeest usually hang about until late October/November. My advice is to do it your self. Check out my tips if that interests you. It certainly roughing it, but an extraordinary exprience.

John

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines