Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location

Masai Mara or Serengeti in mid November?

by takiyahstep Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm trying to plan a safari for my honeymoon in November, but I keep reading conflicting information. Would I be better off visiting Masai Mara or the Serengeti in mid November? Is this heavy rain season for either of these regions and what would be our chances of actually spotting game during this time? We are interested in seeing the big 5, of course, as well as other wildlife if possible. Any tour recommendations and/or camps/lodges suggestions would be of great help. I've been looking at Kensignton Tours...has anyone ever toured with them?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti in mid November?

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I am no expert as to when is the best time or where is the best place. I can only relate our experiences.We went to the Masai Mara in November couple of years back.We didn't have much rain (some) as we were told that the heaviest rain had past. We were very lucky as we saw the big 5 (or 6 as some would say!!!)Animals in plenty and were lucky enough to see most without too much effort.We had a very good guide but even he said we were lucky to see so much as there is never a guarantee. I understood that normally yes you would see a lot of widlife,but to see everything you will be fortunate.Others may disagree or have a better tip,mine was from what was our experience

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti in mid November?

by gary99 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

We have used Kensington (to Egypt), and they are top notch. Our trip to see the Big 5 was to South Africa on recommendations, and wildlife at Inyati Lodge was plentiful and varied if you want to go further south. Gary

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

depending on when you travel in November you might have no or very little rain - it´s the end of the "short rains", temperatures are warm and pleasant again, and even during the long rains you do not have a downpour every day. It´s not the migration time for either Masai Mara or Serengeti, but you will see animals anyway. The decision whether you go to Serengeti or Masai Mara can be taken costwise - Tanzania is generally a good deal more expensive than Kenya - or on any other travel plans you might have. If you want to spend a few days on Zanzibar, Serengeti might be the logical choice to avoid additional visa costs, if you want to hit the Kenyan beaches go to Massai Mara. Serengeti and Masai Mara are one connected ecosystem. so you are likely to see the same kind of animals one way or the other.

1 member found this helpful

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

We used Somak who do tours all over the world.

• Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti in mid November?

by karejudy Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM

hello .i have done several tours with Biggy Adventures tours and safaris.i enjoy every bit of their safaris and there is always something new to learn in each safari.They have very experienced tour guides.i have also been to Enchoro wildlife camp,sidai camp,sopa lodge and olmoran tented camp

• letmeshine4him's Profile Photo

by letmeshine4him Online Now May 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

In the Mara I have always used Sarova Mara - there hospitality and personal care in my mind is unbeatable. The Mara in my opinion is the very best of parks...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines