Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Answers

change location

Mara in June a good time for photography?

by Girisho Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I am planning to visit Masai Mara around June 20th. Primary objective is photography. I am aware that the migration may not start by then. I am ok with it. But my question is, is it good time to spot all other animals?. I heard grass will be tall that time and photographing will be difficult. Is it true?

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Mara in June a good time for photography?

by sphynxxs Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Of course animals are more difficult to spot when the grass is high or when there is dense forest and thicket, like in the Aberdares or in Shimba Hills. But it is not impossible at all. Much depends on whether you go on your own without a driver or guide - if you don´t know the area and the "typical" whereabouts of the different animals, it can be a bit tricky. If you have booked a safari, the driver/guide will no the good spots to find animals and point them out to you. still, if you do self-drive, you can just opt to follow the tour vehicles because the drivers all have radio and keep in touch whenever there is something extraoordinary to see - so if they suddenly speed off, follow up!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

by croisbeauty Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Grass isn't that tall and you will be in the vehicle taking pics from above, but even if you do walking safari renger will take you to the good spots for making pics

• letmeshine4him's Profile Photo

by letmeshine4him Online Now May 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Most anytime in the Mara is good for photographers! The animals tent to stay in the shorter grasses for safety reasons, but there really is not bad time for the Mara. June usually picks up tourism wise and there are plenty of vehicles that will be in the areas where animals are, although we have always enjoyed having a pride of lions or any of the big cats to ourselves... am not into the rush and traffic of minivans... and unfortunately many are more concerned with getting a good shot of an animal verses the safety and welfare of the animals or park rules. You can never go wrong though by spending time in the Mara

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines