Martinique Travel Answers

change location

Martinique in a day...

by NateWill22 Online Now Aug 13, 2003 at 3:44 PM

Hey VT! I'm planning on taking a cruise through the S. Caribbean in early June ('04) and will be stopping by Martinique for a day. We arrive at Fort-de-France around 11am and leave around 6pm, which is unfortunate for such a neat island that I actually studied in French class. What would you suggest I do to see the island in 7 hours or less? I know St. Pierre is interesting (or is it?) and seeing the fishing villages in the north is neat. But is it also possible to get to the south (i.e. Les Salines and Diamond Beaches?) in a day? If not, what spots would be the best to see! Would renting a car be worth-while, or is there another easy way to get around? Help is greatly appreciated as always! Thanks, Nathan.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ljbs's Profile Photo

Re: Martinique in a day...

by ljbs Online Now Aug 13, 2003 at 7:52 PM

It's quite possible to get to Les Salines (in my opinion, one of the world's best beaches and Diamond beach in around an hour (if I remember right) by taxi. If you can share a taxi with other people it would be fairly cheap; car rentals were fairly expenmsive when i was in Marinique 3 years ago. The museum in St.Pierre small but worth looking at; it contains some of the very few things that survived the eruption of Mt. Palée which destroyed the original St. Pierre.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grovier's Profile Photo

RE: Martinique in a day...

by grovier Online Now Nov 23, 2005 at 8:05 AM

Of course tou can go quicly to the Diamant-Imay be more than an hour...-, but dont forget that you are in Caraibs and rent a car is not very fast so be careful with time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Martinique Travel Answer Locations