Martha's Vineyard Travel Answers

change location

Day trip the first full week of April

by rlwhite Online Now Feb 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Any suggestions on things to do during a day trip in early April. We plan to walk on the ferry from Woods Hole. It appears the buses run limited hours during that time of year. Should we rent a car once we are on the island?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Day trip the first full week of April

by pedrobrophy Online Now Feb 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I am a little rusty on the vineyard but saw your unanswered post. The ferry goes to one of two places (so check the ferry schedule to know which one you are headed to - unless that is just a summer schedule). In any case, you will need transportation on the island because walking won't get you anywhere. I would call the Wood's Hole ferry office and try to get someone live, or, here's an idea, call The Black Dog store in Martha's Vineyard where you are certain to get a live person 508 693 0483 and ask them to help you with a little fresh local knowledge. If you are nice about it, I would think they could help you or steer you to someone who could.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • beingquixotic's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip the first full week of April

by beingquixotic Online Now Feb 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM

You will either land in Vineyard Haven (most likely) or Oak Bluffs. Vineyard Haven is the closest thing to a "city" on the island. Edgartown is where most pople end up staying and has the best shopping (boutiques) but many may not be open. Oak Bluffs is exceptionally charming. Try to get out to the cliffs of Gay Head. This is where Jackie Onassis spent a great deal of time at her home there, it is also home to the Wampanoag Tribe of Native Americans. On your way out to Gay Head ask a local to direct you to the singing beach at Squibnocket. An off the beaten path locals only type of place. Obviously, you need the rental car! Have fun exploring!

• Re: Day trip the first full week of April

by ltt Online Now Feb 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM

when i went for one day, i took a bus tour as soon as i got off the ferry. it think it was about 3 hours or so. gave me a good overview of the island. then in the afternoon, i just took the local bus between various spots.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Martha's Vineyard