Martha's Vineyard Travel Answers

change location

Martha's Vineyard with a child

by jxh18 Online Now Apr 30, 2005 at 8:06 PM

Hello-
We're considering a a weekend in Boston and then a week on Martha's Vineyard in July. We'll be travelling with a 5 year old. Any info. suggestions on the following would be most appreciated:

- is it necessary to have a car on the island?
- where would be a good place to stay with a child?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

RE: Martha's Vineyard with a child

by diver-x Online Now May 2, 2005 at 6:42 PM

I can't give any hotel recommendations because I've only taken day trips there, but it really isn't necessary to have a car on the Vineyard. Towns are small and you can pretty much walk to everything within each village. There is excellent bus service between villages and to attractions like Gay Head. If I was going stay on the Vineyard, I'd stay in Oak Bluffs! No question! It's the most picture-perfect town you can imagine with cottages that look like doll houses. A child would love the place!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Martha's Vineyard with a child

by adarack1 Online Now Apr 2, 2006 at 8:12 PM

Hello-

I live year round on the island and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. It's not necessary to have a car, as there is pretty good public transportation, but a car would definitely make life convenient. It's hard to make reservations on the ferry in July though, so you might be better off planning on doing it without a car. As for a place to stay, we move out of our house and rent it weekly during the summer. I'm not trying to commercialize this post, just trying to help. If you want any additional info, my email address is awdarack@gmail.com. Either way, if you want any additional info on the island, I'm more than happy to help.

Regards-

Adam

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Martha's Vineyard