Martha's Vineyard Travel Answers

change location

Martha's Vineyard

by mrsbude Online Now Apr 1, 2005 at 12:33 PM

Hi,
My husband and I are flying to Boston from Baltimore this coming Aug 27 thru Aug 29. We would like to visit Martha,s Vineyard from Aug 29 thru Sept 1. My questions are,
(1) what would be the best way to get from Boston to the Vineyard at that time of the week and season? Keeping in mind that I need to get back to Boston on Sept 1 for a flight back to Baltimore.

(2) Harbor View, Kelly House or Harborside Inns......which is the best as far as cleanliness, decor and easy walking access to beaches and shopping etc..

Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Trying to plan a vacation can be overwhelming at times.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

RE: Martha's Vineyard

by diver-x Online Now Apr 5, 2005 at 8:20 AM

It's good you are avoiding weekend travel to the Vineyard. It being the last week before Labor Day, people willl be getting in their "last hurrah" of the summer that week before the kids have to go back to school. But I don't think you'll run into too much traffic getting there and away on weekdays.

Do you plan to rent a car? You can probably go with or without a car. We usually drive to Woods Hole and park the car at the huge parking lot for ferry passengers. The ferry is actually a 10 minute bus ride away from the parking lot, but buses run often. You can take your car across on the ferry too, but of course, that can be expensive. There is plenty of public transportation on the Vineyard when you get there. Bonanza bus lines run a bus between Logan Airport, South Station and Woods Hole if you don't want to bring a car. If you're already in Boston then you'll probably want to catch the bus at South Station. But you can take the bus directly to Logan airport on the way back.

Here are some links to transportation information:
    Bonanza bus: bonanzabus.com/schedules.sht...
    Ferry information: http://www.steamshipauthority.com
    Martha's Vineyard Transit Authority: http://www.vineyardtransit.com/

Sorry, don't know about the hotels. We go for day trips!

Happy travel planning!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Martha's Vineyard