Marshall Islands Travel Answers

change location

Housing in Majuro

by yalesurf Online Now Jan 15, 2006 at 10:41 PM

I'm going to be in Majuro for about two months this summer volunteering. What kind of housing options are available for this length of time? Also, about how much does one spend on food per day in Majuro?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Housing in Majuro

by chapstickisgood Online Now Mar 13, 2006 at 7:32 PM

I spent three months in Majuro in the summer of 2003. I was staying with the Jesuit Volunteers at Assumption school, so I can't answer much about housing options. There was an outrigger hotel and a great "resort" in Uliga.

However, if you're in a place with a kitchen I would say you're never going to spend more than100 per month on food. For one thing, there aren't many places you're going to go out to eat. (There are a couple of ex-pat places, but if you're there volunteering, you're probably not going to spend much time there.) There are a couple of grocery stores, where we stocked up on ramen. The prices at the grocery store are similar to those in the states. I ate coconuts all day long. And the residents in Majuro are wonderfully hospitable. There is great generosity there. We couldn't go a weekend without being invited to a Kaamem or over somewhere for a meal. (Of course, it's always best to invite others over as well!)

Do eat the fermented breadfruit!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Marshall Islands Travel Answer Locations