Marshall Islands Travel Answers

change location
nokindofsupastar's Profile Photo

Kwajalein

by nokindofsupastar Online Now Dec 15, 2004 at 7:14 AM

I am also trying to visit a friend on kwajalein, but had kinda pushed the idea aside because i thouhgt maybe it would be too hard/expensive to gain access to the island .... can civilians just fly in and out of there? if so, what airlines? i'm also flying from washington DC so i'm sure it's going to be really expensive ... are there any good deals i could take advantage of or am i just going to take what i can get because it's such a "out of the way" destination? and let's say i make it to the island (with money still in my pocket) what is there to do there? i know it's home to the Reagan missle testing base ... (that's where my friend works) but i'm sure he'll be working some of the time and i don't want to completly rely on him to show me around. any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks! ~michelle

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • AyurinHiro's Profile Photo

Re: Kwajalein

by AyurinHiro Online Now Dec 15, 2004 at 8:06 AM

Hello Michelle! Welcome to VT! I & my husband (living in Japan) visited Majuro (capital of Marshall Islands). On our way from Japan to Majuro, we stopped at Kwajalein. Continental Micronesia airlines are flying from Guam to Hawai. It is an "Island Hopper"...I mean, the plane depart Guam, stop at Chuuk (Republic of Micronesia), Phonpei (Republic of Micronesia), Kosrae (Republic of Micronesia) then Kuwajalein (Marshall Islands), Majuro (Marshall Islands) then arrive at Hawaii. I'm sorry I don't know the ticket price. I guess, there is a flight from Hawaii to Guam. So, I guess, the easiest way from Washington DC to Kwajalein is... fly to Hawai, then fly to Kwajalein. If I remember correctly, Air Marshall is also flying around there. But I heard that tourists can't get off at Kwajalein. As you already know it is a military base and only military people can get into Kwajalein. I've never stayed there. but in central Pacific ocean, we can usually enjoy scuba diving. I hope your dream comes true :-) Have a great time! Ayurin, Osaka Japan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Marshall Islands Travel Answer Locations