Marseille Travel Answers

change location
Marietje's Profile Photo

Cty trip

by Marietje Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:49 AM

From 4 till 7. April I'll be visiting Marseille - this for the first time.
All suggestions such as musea, cultural, goods restaurants, temporary expositions,...are very welcome.
Thanks in advance for your reactions,
Marietje

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Cty trip

by ATLC Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:39 AM

It's been a long while but I went to Marseille for 2 things: find the text to the Marseillaise (I didn't , nobody knew!) and to eat bouillabaisse. Rule of thumb for restaurants: see where there are a lot of French eating, should be good there.
    There's a fish market at the harbour (fresh catch of the night) but you need to be very early because it's gone by 9 in the morning if not earlier.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Marseille is one of the European cultural capitals this year, this website might be a good place to start. We were there in the warmer months and most of what we did wouldn't be appropriate if it's cooler outside I don't think.

marseillecityofculture.eu/ca...

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It's been a few years since I've been but I found great restaurants in the port area. For things to do I'd take the "tourist" train up to the cathedral and just for fun take the water taxi across the port. On the inner side of the port (north east I believe) there is (used to be anyway) a great pub with good food one block in. There were also some very nice shops and art gallerys there.

• FlashHarry's Profile Photo

by FlashHarry Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Going back to the text to the Marseillaise, there is a Museum dedicated to text the Marseillaise, but well publicized and it is not that easy to find:

vert-marine.com/memorial-mar...

and bouillabaisse ... beware, if it is cheap it is not bouillabaisse. Bouillabaisse is a quite a complex dish and it takes a lot of fish and a lot of preparation.

marseillecityofculture.eu/fo...

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM

LOL! Interesting find, Harry. Thanks. I think after more than 20 years, my urgency has gone (possibly the museum didn't exist then) but I'm having a look at the website.
    As for bouillabaisse, I was very aware of its complexity. That's why I wanted to eat the real thing in Marseille. But like many traditional dishes (such as coq au vin, sheperd's pie, boeuf bourguignon), there are many recipes. I ate a good one in Marseille though!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines