Marrakesh Travel Answers

change location

Train from Tangiers to Morocco- urgent.

by rah37 Online Now Dec 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Hello VTers;

I am going next week(DEC 27th 2011) to Morocco from spain and want advice on buying train tickets from Tangiers to Marrakech. Are local agents trustworthy to buy the train tickets for you? How far is the train station from the ferry port terminal in Tangiers? Will the tickets be available on the same day if i don't buy them earlier?( planning to take the sleeping bunk cabins for 4 people.
Does anyone have any advice on ferry services from Algeciras? which one is better? Is it necessary to book in advance or will I get it on the day itself?
Is the Tanger med port different from Tanger( while booking a train)?
Or is it better to rent a car and drive down all the way from Tangiers to Marrakech(which is what I had initially planned), but am not very comfortable doing it in Dec and also since i have limited time.
Has anyone stayed at the hotel Kenzi- agdal medina? If so how was your experience and how convenient is the location?
I understand the weather is hot int he daytime and cold at night, is a light jacket more than enough?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is short notice, but have been researching a lot, have booked many months before, and cant find the answers on other sites, so glad to find VT.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

Re: Train from Tangiers to Morocco- urgent.

by stevemt Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Generally i Morocco, train tickets are not available on the internet, but you have no trouble getting them from the stations.

The port is not near the railway station, and you will need to take a taxi there. Taxi's are very reasonable in Morocco.

Hope this helps and that you love Morocco as much as most people who go there do.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Train from Tangiers to Morocco- urgent.

by alfred_the_great Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Are local agents trustworthy to buy the train tickets for you?
    = which local agents ?

How far is the train station from the ferry port terminal in Tangiers?

= there are 2 ferry ports serving tangers. the new one at Tanger-Med and the old one into the city from Tarifa. Tanger-med is about 50kms from Tangers and you take a free shuttle bus from port. Allow an hour for the transfers. The Tarifa to Tangers port ferry is quicket but you need to go from Algeciras to Tarifa by shuttle bus provided by ferry companies FRS or COMARIT.

Will the tickets be available on the same day if i don't buy them earlier?( planning to take the sleeping bunk cabins for 4 people.
    = You should have a very good chance if buying the tickets earlier on same day at station.

Does anyone have any advice on ferry services from Algeciras? which one is better? Is it necessary to book in advance or will I get it on the day itself?

== More ferries from Algeciras but some are slow car ferries and others are fast ones. so check on type of ferry before buying ticket in main ferry terminal hall. Or buy a ticket for the Tarifa to Tangers city ferry in the same hall and get directed to free bus for Tarifa.

Is the Tanger med port different from Tanger( while booking a train)?

= see above

Or is it better to rent a car and drive down all the way from Tangiers to Marrakech(which is what I had initially planned), but am not very comfortable doing it in Dec and also since i have limited time.
    = it is a long journey if you plan only go to Marrakesh and not want a car for other places.

Has anyone stayed at the hotel Kenzi- agdal medina? If so how was your experience and how convenient is the location?
    = dont know

I understand the weather is hot int he daytime and cold at night, is a light jacket more than enough?
    = should be

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Tanger Port and Tanger med are different ports, To arrive at Tanger port(town center) you have to take the fast ferry from Tarifa, take the free shuttle from Algeciras. Tanger Med is more a container terminal and is situated 50km from Tanger center. From the ferry port take a taxi to the train station, book your tickets for a sleeper as early as you can. As far as I know there is no luggage storage at the station. But there is a left luggage office just outside the port. Once you have booked your tickets you can have a look round Tanger Medina which is interesting. If you self drive it will take you about 8 hours using the excellent motorways. I think you will need more than a light jacket for the evenings, Marrakech is very cold at night in December. Hope that helps.

by alfred_the_great Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Just to clarify that Tanger-Med is a purpose built port handling ro ro traffic for private cars etc plus all vehicles and it does have a container area. The Tanger-Med port is seen as the main gateway into Morocco from the sea on this coast and passengers can leave the ferry and then take a free shuttle bus into Tanger city. Previously ferries used to run from Algeciras to Tanger city but this all changed last year when the Tanger-Med opened to passengers and ro-ro with bus service connection into Tanger city and therefore no ferries now run from Algeciras to Tanger city..
    The port in the city of Tanger is going to become a cruise ship destination as well as leisure craft but the short sea crossing to Tarifa with 2 ferry operators operating this route will continue.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by rah37 Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Thank you very much everyone for all your helpful answers.
    This helps me a lot to decide.
    I found an agent from a frommers post called Mr. Said- whose agency is near the al minzha hotel in tanger who will buy the train tickets for me with a charge of around58.00.

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Dec 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Does that include the tickets ?

by rah37 Online Now Jul 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

No that was just his agency charge tobuy the tickets. Wasnt needed. I could have bought them myself had i been a bit aware of the place.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines