Marrakesh Travel Answers

change location

fun group of 4 wondering how to pick the best riad near the medina

by BeteG Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Hi - we are for us travelers traveling to Marrakech and are hoping to book a great riad (close to the medina, with rooftop terrace for vies, and also not too close to the djemma el fna ye not too far to walk back at night). I am literally tired of reading the hundreds of thousands of reviews on trip advisor on all of them - there are just TOO many to go through!! Also it seems as if this is a busy time - and the ones I've reached out to seem to be fully booked already. I am on a deadline - so I appreciate any one's advice on this - cheers! Oh price wise I would like to spend $100 USD or so - but any suggestions will do, thanks again. ;o)

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: fun group of 4 wondering how to pick the best riad near the medina

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Hi a good site you could check out is www.morocco-gateway.com run by a British promoting establishments that by being reliably nice people and family run rather than big touristy commercial places to help experiencing the best side to Morocco. He also sends 5% of business to orphanage and other community projects.

Also have a look around the travel pages here on vt for accommodation tips but guidebooks such as Footprints can be good for accom. Previous editions of the Lonely Planet have been exvellent, my travel bible for Morocco but the latest edition seems to be seriously lacking. I have an American friend who has been recently getting a riad up and running so should her details and can do so if youd like to try her place...she lived in the desert for a few years which is how Ive come to know her.

I know some lovely ones elsewhere around Morocco that Id recommend...most are in my travel pages already

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: fun group of 4 wondering how to pick the best riad near the medina

by BeteG Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Thanks - so far I've checked most common sites (including the one you suggested) = though it's still extremely difficult to pick one - would love real live recommendations, thanks for the response - wish me luck! ;o)

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Hi you could ring the guy whos got morocco gateway. you could also talk to Debby..i can send you her phone number or email...she and others just people who have fallen inlove with Morocco so have got involved with promoting the place...thats why I myself spend time writing in the forums. Otherwise she could live in India or Usa and he could live in Britain or Spain and i could go and focus on China.

• christof2's Profile Photo

by christof2 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Hi...I was in Marra this time last year andi stayed at the Equity back packers and before u go yuck it really is a great place.Is very very close to the main square has great 4 bed rooms.Fantastic room top restaurant and bar..A great free breakfast with crepes and breads and coffee....and more..The swimming pool is a great relief as the heat there is a killer and when the sun is at its height it is great to head back to the backpackers and sit in the cool by the pool.The backpackers is very very close to the main square and you definately have to eat there as the experience is something you wont forget and the food is great..You are also very close to the markets and the main ones are undercover which makes it very easy to get aroind.If you would like to view the main square from high up there are a few reataurants that are there and u have to purchase a drink before you enter...Taxis will drop you at the entrance to the square and always barter the price before u get in especially if coming direct from the train station or airport..down about 40 % on what they originally ask..and you will then walk down into the square about 100 metres from where you will be dropped of..Would highly recommend this place plus you can talk to other people whom are there for other things you would like to do...maybe the camels in the desert or such...have agreat trip Chris..ps..any other Qs just fire away

by BeteG Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Thanks Chris - though still looking for a Riad that is more on the traditional side. Looking for the "full" experience as this would be our first trip to Marrakech but not our first to Morocco. ;o)

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Waiting to hear back from Debby and can send her details...

• cliveozy's Profile Photo

by cliveozy Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Hi sorry late answering you try raid l'oiseau du paradis got good reviews on travel trip advisor was going to stay there myself but now booked in the opera plaza hotel as i don't want to be near the hassle the raid is not far from the square good luck.

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 4:39 AM

well Debby has got back to me that she has nights available at the moment but no more contact back from you...bit of a shame as shes a rather arty, groovy type of person that has been living in Morocco for a few years now, in amongst projects in India so wouldve probably suited you down to a t to get Marrakech experience with

by Cutie314 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I stayed at Riad Algeria (also as a fun group of 4) and loved it. Beautiful rooms and rooftop. Rain Shower. Very nice staff. Close to the action of the medina. The breakfast was delicious. The price was great. By far, my favorite hotel experience in Morocco.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines