Marrakesh Travel Answers

change location
JessicaT17's Profile Photo

Arriving close to midnight

by JessicaT17 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I'll be arriving around 11pm in the city and am a solo female traveller. I'm planning on booking a transfer with my hotel, but from what I've read the taxis cannot go all the way to the hotel (as it is in the medina) and I'll have to walk some. Is this safe? Also, are taking taxis as a single female safe?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • windcity's Profile Photo

Re: Arriving close to midnight

by windcity Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You should arrange for someone from your hotel to meet the taxi. At that late hour it should be quiet but dark streets can be a little daunting for the first time visitor.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

hi exactly what i was going to say - ask someone from the hotel to come and meet you - im quite gungho at getting about at night but depending on where your hotel is I would be a bit nervous about walking into any of the alleys that go off the back of the main square as the streets do start to get quite quiet from about 1130 - if its any of the hotels in the streets on the right hand side they are well lit and easy to get to eg the streets behind/parallel with Hotel Ali

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I would totally agree with having someone meet you. I would under no circumstances walk around on your own at that time of night. It can be difficult to locate your hotel and you could be walking around for a while. This happened to us - it was NOT a pleasant experience and I was literally ready to get on the next plane out of there!! It's better to be safe.

• sachara's Profile Photo

by sachara Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

When I booked a transfer with my riad in the medina in Marrakech, the arranged taxidriver by the riad brought me to the doorstep of my riad, last alleyways by feet.

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The poster has already said that she has booked a transfer from the airport to her accomodation. As you have not been to Morocco you will not know that Riads in the Medina are in small streets that cars can not reach. It is quite normal for the taxi to drop you as near as possible and hire a man with a luggage cart to take the passenger the rest of the way.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines