Maribor Travel Answers

change location
christine.j's Profile Photo

Some questions about train tickets

by christine.j Online Now Nov 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I've been looking at the Slovenian train website, searching for trains from Maribor to Ljubljana and back and saw a "tourist weekend ticket" advertised. It says this ticket is valid for domestic train services on a weekend.

Is this ticket valid in an ICS train for travelling from Maribor to Ljubljana and back on the same day, a Saturday? It's a lot cheaper than the regular fare.

It also says, that reservation is compulsory. How much is the reservation fee?

Thank you for your help.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Re: Some questions about train tickets

by lotharscheer Online Now Nov 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

As far as i understand it it´s a return ticket valid for 15 days after purchase, but only on saturday, sunday and public holiday, 30% off regular price, websit doesn´t mention compulsary reservation on minimum stay.
    slo-zeleznice.si/en/passenge...
    In case you come from Austia (maybe with a cheap ticket from Germany), from Carinthian and Styrian towns you can get cheap 4 day return tickets to Maribor and Ljubljana.
    oebb.at/en/Travelling_in_Aus...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Nov 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Thank you very much for the tip about the Slovenia-Ticket from ÖBB. That's a great price, just 14 Euro. Yes, we'll spend the night in Graz on our way to Maribor, so this ticket is perfect.

I dug a little deeper into the Slovenian train site and found that reservation is compulsory, but doesn't cost extra. What confuses me is the word "domestic". If this means the same like a regional or local train in Germany, then the tourist weekend ticket won't be valid on an ICS train.

Thanks again, you saved us some money.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

by lotharscheer Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 12:16 AM

The write "on all domestic train services", ICS trains are domestic trains, they run only between Maribor > Ljubljana and in summer also Maribor > Koper, for them you need the reservation.

by christine.j Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Then it's the ÖBB Slovenia Ticket to get to Maribor and the tourist weekend ticket to get to Ljubljana and back to Maribor.

• georgiak's Profile Photo

by georgiak Online Now Nov 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hi,
    a question for Christine, were you able to book the tickets on line at http://www.slo-zeleznice.si ??? I m trying to book tickets but there are only phone numbers for national use and no booking system.

by christine.j Online Now Nov 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I booked the tickets to Graz online at bahn.de. The tourist tickets from Maribor to Ljubljana I bought at the train station in Maribor.

• georgiak's Profile Photo

by georgiak Online Now Nov 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure that national tickets cannot be bought from abroad!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Maribor