Marathon Travel Answers

change location

Not looking forward to the trip.....:(

by tiznow Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 12:37 PM

Me and my girlfriend are landing in FLL airport on Saturday and driving down to Key Largo to spend the night Sat. night. Then we will drive to Marathon on Sunday and spend a couple of days there before heading to South Beach. I am getting the feeling that there won't be much to do in MArathon and that it is not that scenic. i wanted to go to Key West but they are having gay pride week and I heard it will be a madhouse. I might visit anyway. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • donato1899's Profile Photo

Re: Not looking forward to the trip.....:(

by donato1899 Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 1:57 PM

Marathon is not the most scenic place in the keys, but its not bad. You can go out the old bridge, one mile, to pidgeon key, I think you can still go down off the bridge there. You can fish off the old bridge. You can have a nice meal at the 7 mile grill and see their beer can collection. You can dive to bahia honda key which is the nicest beach in the keys. Key west is only 40 miles further, gay pride week or not, you should go and see the sunset celebration at Mallory Square. If you want to fish in Key West take at trip on the Gulfstream III, a head boat, that takes people out for about40.00 each to fish. All you do is pay, they have the bait and tackle, you just reel 'em in. In Key Largo, stay at Kelley's Motel, on the Florida Bay side, for under100.00. or look at this web page for more choices marinersguide.com/regions/fl... On the way from Key Largo to Marathon stop at Holiday Isle in Islamorada for a rum runner, not too many if you want to keep driving( safely).In the PM you can see the sport fishing boats land their catch. That is usually pretty cool. one more non travel bit -If you really want to be correct, type "my girlfrind and I...."

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pulgaron's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Not looking forward to the trip.....:(

by pulgaron Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 2:37 PM

There is plenty for you to explore in Marathon for one day, but it would be a shame to miss Key West. Pop in just for the afternoon. Gay pride week or not, you won't be disappointed.

• kimij's Profile Photo

Re: Not looking forward to the trip.....:(

by kimij Online Now Jun 4, 2004 at 1:38 AM

marathon will be fine,remember there are so many islands only a short drive away ....I would try to see Key West it would be a shame to miss it!! I somehow ended up at the gay games in Sydney a couple of years ago ..... what an experience..had a ball !! so don't let this put you off!! (ohh.....I'm not gay, )!! it could end up to be one of those days you will always remember!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines