Maputo Travel Answers

change location

Surf Board Rental in Maputo?

by morgandy Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi all,

anyone know if there is a place to rent boards (or even boogie boards) in or near Maputo?

Thanks greatly for any help!!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Surf Board Rental in Maputo?

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Although I have been to Mozambique as a tour manager, it had nothing to do with surfing, so i was only mildly aware that the coast was a favorite of serious surfers. Later I researched Mozambique looking foe the right place to take some serious surfers on private tour. I opted instead for Tanzania's Pemba Island for the trip, and it turned out to be perfect.

So, that said, I found that the surfing in Maputo, is not that good, due to location on the bay, but the serious surfing is further south about 35 miles. I remember that a car was needed and it had to be a 4X4, as some prime spots were not accessible without a 4X4.

Since this was quite some time ago, I looked on line for updated information, and did not really find anything that said those conditions have changed. Anyway, although I do not know this from experience, as that coast is and has been a favorite for globetrotting surfers, logic will suggest that you should not have a problem renting a board.

surf.transworld.net/10000841...

globalsurfers.com/read_threa...

Hope this helps.....d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines