Maputo Travel Answers

change location

Rentals and Transport

by Gayls Online Now Sep 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Visiting Maputo..

I would like to know if there is a rental service in Maputo for cars/4x4/motorhome campervans/ect. and is there a train service between Johannesburg and Maputo because no indiction on the website..do you perhaps have a contact at the train service for me?

Thanks for you great service*

Gay-Lynn

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Rentals and Transport

by anton64 Online Now Sep 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Tell us more about your plans in Mozambique. You might not need a 4X4, depending on the route you wish to take. If you plan on going eay south then Maputo might not be the best place to start either but you will need a 4X4. Most destinations north of Maputo is accesible by normal sedan car. There are trains and busses between Maputo and Jhb. If you are leaving from Jhb for Maputo maybe try to get a rental comapny in Jhb that will let you take the vehicle accross the border, allowing you to explore Mpumalanga on the way and a night or two in Kruger.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAO's Profile Photo

Re: Rentals and Transport

by DAO Online Now Sep 17, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Check here for the 2 train companies (last tip):

Maputo Transportation Tips by DAO

(The CFM site does not always work).

I have a great car rental company on my Transport tip on my South Africa page - they will let you drive in Moz. As Anton says many companies will not. I drove a small car all the way to Tofo Beach.

To get a car into Moz you need to stop in Nelspruit South Africa near the border. My Nelspruit page tells you where to ge the paperwork.

You may want to llok at the buses as Anton says. Its another option.

Have a great time,

All the best,

DAO

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines