Maputo Travel Answers

change location

johannesburg-maputo

by silviadoffo Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Hi,

I would like to know if there's a bus service (instead of the train) from Johannesburg to Maputo and, if yes:
1. where I can get it (directly from the airport?)
2. where I can find a timetable
3. there can be problems at the border with the police, even if on a public transport.

Moreover, I read in a reply to the two sisters that it takes only two hours to reach the border. I was told there should be 7 hours in total Johannesburg- maputo. So it means that it takes 5 hours from the border to Maputo?

Thanks a lot.

Silvia

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • WaRPer's Profile Photo

Re: johannesburg-maputo

by WaRPer Online Now Feb 21, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Of course!! There're several bus lines that run between Jo'burg and Maputo. I recommend the Greyhound as it's the most reliable and "VIP" one.
    1. First, you need an advance booking which can be done through www.computicket.co.za and its kiosks @ any Tourist Info Centers
    2. Check out www.greyhound.co.za -- It runs daily.
    3. You're not likely to run into any police. But the biggest problem is the border can get really crowded and it might take you hours just to get through (esp. in case you're having the visa done on arrival)

The bus takes a total around 8-10 hours from Jo'burg to Maputo.
    Yeah...it's about that...Check out my Maputo Page BTW ;)

Happy Travels.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

Re: johannesburg-maputo

by nora_south_africa Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Yes Bus a much better option, Border entry can take long, if possible get visa before hand.The road between South Africa and Maputu is quite a good one so its not a rough ride ( although long cause of border) and taking bus you dont get the fines!!!!!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines