Maputo Travel Answers

change location

Johannesburg to Maputo by Car

by gentil-coquelicot Online Now Mar 14, 2006 at 6:24 AM

Hello, we are 2 retired sisters (not too old but ...) wanting to visit Mozambique and we have a few questions:
is it safe to ride from Johanesburg to Maputo by car ? how many kilometers?
Then in Mozambique if we go from Maputo to the North is it easy to find petrol or gazoline on the way?
What would you suggest, should we go or should we not?
in advance I thank you
gentil-coquelicot

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • cleocat's Profile Photo

RE: Johannesburg to Maputo by Car

by cleocat Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 1:01 PM

I have never drove between JHB and Maputo but have several friends that do it regulary. Some have enormous problems at the borders with corrupt officials. We flew between JHB and Maputo and had no problems at the airport. The customs officials are not very friendly. The roads on SA's side are normally good but I don't know inside Mozambique. Up north there are certain areas you need a 4x4. Look at some travel websites and see what the fly-in packages are like. There are many availabe for Maputo and also some of the islands like Inhaca etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

RE: Johannesburg to Maputo by Car

by nora_south_africa Online Now Apr 3, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Hi
    The road from Johannesburg to Maputu is a good Road, allow at least 2 hours maybe more at border..From Maputu up noth the road was ok for a while then had loads of potholes, I heard they are working on it but not sure how its going.
    Do not drive over speed limit, heavy fines.. if you not sure of speed limit , keep to low speed, Allow for travel at no more than 50 km per hour..between where you overnight, its a slow road, unless its been upgraded, drive at night must be avoided at all costs, and check any money exchange, even from banks...
    Its a beautiful country, I would not try travel alone more north than Vilanculos, until there you should not have problems with petrol, but may not get unleaded.Just fill up at each garage and carry some spare... sometimes they run out of petrol..
    I stayed at Bara Lodge and blue waters at Vilancilos, and reached both with a car.. but dont go off beaten track unless you sure its a road you can go by normal car...
    Both Bara Lodge and Vilanculos also have camp sites, and bara lodge has a high quality bunkhouse, quite cheap., but do be careful of lose sand when driving the last part to the lodge...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines