Mannheim Travel Answers

change location

Travel to Prague

by jlmorgan Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Will be in Viernheim next weekend and have two extra travel days. We would like to travel to Prague, but don't know the most cost effective way to do so. I hear there is a nice scenic drive from Mannheim to Prague. Will gas be more expensive than a train ticket, and also, how long will it take to travel?

I'm sorry, I would just love to know the best way for us to make this trip if it is possible. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • abalada's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel to Prague

by abalada Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM

A bit far for just 2 days.
    Fastest is by car if you stick to the autobahns. Approx. 5 hours. You'll need a vignette (sticker) to use the Czech autobahns.
    The Castle Road runs from Mannheim to Prague. But this is something you should plan a week or so for.
    http://www.burgenstrasse.de/?lang=uk

What about places closer to Viernheim? This would cut the travel time and costs. Leaving more time for sightseeing. I guess you have already planned to visit Heidelberg. As touristic as Prague.

VRN public transport network
    vrn.de/IMAGES/karten_plaene/...

Speyer
    speyer.de/de/tourist/sehensw...
    When built nearly 1000 years ago Speyer cathedral was the biggest church in Europe. UNESCO world heritage. Also a really interesting technical museum there.
    http://www.technik-museum.de/uk/speyer/

W├╝rzburg Residence
    schloesser.bayern.de/englisc...
    Also an UNESCO world heritage.

There are 2 really nice towns close to Viernheim
    1. Ladenburg
    ladenburg.de/index.php?optio...
    ladenburg.de/index.php?optio...
    2. Weinheim
    weinheim-marketing.de/index....

You can buy mini group (2-5 persons) 24-hour tickets. If bought on a Saturday these tickets are valid till Monday 3am.
    4-5 zones (e.g. covering Ladenburg, Weinheim, Heidelberg, Mannheim) EUR 13,50
    whole VRN area EUR 18,50

Nice is also the Neckar valley with it's castles. E.g. Neckarsteinach
    burgenstrasse.de/showpage.ph...
    Also some towns in the Odenwald, like Michelstadt, Miltenberg and Amorbach. For such a tour a car will be more practical than public transport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • abalada's Profile Photo

RE: Travel to Prague

by abalada Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Forgot: many rental companies won't allow you to drive into the Czech Republic with one of their cars. Also central Prague is a really car unfriendly place.
    Also tricky: the autobahn A6 is pretty crowded and prone to traffic jams.

For next weekend you may get one of DBs special offers to Prague. From EUR 39,00 one way Mannheim to Prague. Travel time is 7:50. Route goes via Dresden (a huge detour). The shorter route is however slower.
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    To: Prague

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines