Mannheim Travel Answers

change location

Closest Airport to Mannheim

by dekade Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 6:28 AM

Hi all 2 of us are planning to go to Mannheim for 3 days at the end of April. I have been searching for flights etc. Could you please tell me which is the best route to take for London UK. I thought going to Frankfurt then to Mannheim would a good choice as it seems that they are very close to each other or at Frankfurt has a international airport (i think), How long would a train take from frankfurt to mannheim and is it a convenient option. Any help would be appreciated along with cheap hotel options. Regards Lance

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Closest Airport to Mannheim

by christine.j Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 7:33 AM

Hi, if you take the fast (expensive) train, the trip from Frankfurt to Mannheim takes about 30 minutes. If you take the slower commuter train ( a lot cheaper), it is about 80 minutes. So if you're not in a terrible rush, take the commuter train. there are two train stations right at Frankfurt airport, for the commuter train you have to go into Frankfurt to the main train station. There really is not very much to see for tourists in Mannheim. Heidelberg is about 15 minutes from Mannheim by train and is more interesting. Cheap hotels can better be found in the smaller towns between, like Viernheim, Weinheim, Ladenburg. All of these also have good train/bus connections to Mannheim and Heidelberg. Weinheim and Ladenburg also have a direct train to Frankfurt. I hope this will help you. christine

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Closest Airport to Mannheim

by jacob_m Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 1:00 PM

The nearest airport is Frankfurt am Main. There are several flights a day between London/Heathrow and Frankfurt with both Lufthansa and BA. I think Lufthansa has about 10 flights a day and there are even a few direct flights from London city airport to Frankfurt. Try www.lufthansa.co.uk for prices and online booking. Alternatively you can always try to fly to Stuttgart or Basle and take a train the last part. The high-speed train ICE will take you between those cities and Mannheim in no time. Indeed Mannheim is not much of a hit, I have mostly changed train there but during those short visits I did not get the impression it is a very exciting city. As somebody mentioned Heidelberg is a lot nicer, it's a popular university town as well.

• gargamel111's Profile Photo

Re: Closest Airport to Mannheim

by gargamel111 Online Now Feb 18, 2004 at 12:13 AM

hi there, indeed, Mannheim is not a hit, but I've been to places that are more worse. If You have time, dont miss the contemp. art museum and perhaps take a look at the Reiss museum and the technical museum (depends on what exhib. they have). Cheap hotel are rare, but Mannheimer Hof is not so bad, starts at 40 Euro. Take a look at http://www.hrs.com/ to find more. have fun Gar

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines