Mannheim Travel Answers

change location
whalens's Profile Photo

Bus tours

by whalens Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

am visiting family in Mannheim Germany, would like to take in a bus tour..Tour meaning a group of people travelling together and staying few nights in different towns.. are there such tours?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Bus tours

by christine.j Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM

There are bus tours, but I don't know of any in English. Mannheim is not a tourist's hotspot.
    This is a well-known group:
    http://www.holger-tours.de/
    Click on Reisen 2013, then on the right on Mehrtagesfahrten to find their dates and destinations for 2013.

This company is in Speyer, not far from Mannheim. I've taken several tours with them and can recommend them. http://www.deutschreisen.de/

But if you don't need a guided tour, you can travel easily on your own. The public transport is good and easy to understand in Mannheim and around . Where do you want to go?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • whalens's Profile Photo

by whalens Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Thanks Christine for your reply. Am a single traveller, and my German is very poor, will be in town for 10 days..How would one get to Speyer? And also do you have info on day trips on the Rhine? Christine are you familiar with DJH Jugendherberge jn Mannheim, is it safe etc?

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Have you contacted the tourist information office in Mannheim? They are very friendly and helpful and their website is in English. They'll also know about trips on the Rhine. Usually these tours start after Easter, but right now we have another cold spell and if it's still cold at Easter the boats may not go yet.
    However, the Rhine at Mannheim is not very interesting, the nicer part is more in the north close to Bingen. But there are also boat tours on the Neckar, which are very nice.
    http://www.tourist-mannheim.de/en/Home

For many years Mannheim has been the home of more than 20.000 US citizens and anybody working with tourists speaks at least some English.

Getting to Speyer is easy. Check www.bahn.de for trains , also available in English. It's local trains only to Speyer.

I haven't stayed in the Jugendherberge in Mannheim, but this part of Mannheim is perfectly safe. Of course, if someone walks around totally drunk , boasting how much money he has in his pocket, it's another story.

In case you don't have to stay in Mannheim, only in the area, look into staying in Heidelberg. It's a short train ride away from Mannheim and much more touristy, so it's more likely there are guided day tours into other parts of Germany. The Jugendherberge there is right next to the zoo and close to several university buildings.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

by tini58de Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I just checked the internet and did find a few sites of bus companies offering bus trips - most of them are in German, so I hope you can understand German: buswelt.de/reiseliste.php?pa...

Maybe this link is helpful for you - at least it is in English: heidelberg-marketing.de/cont...

Enjoy your time in Mannheim!

• whalens's Profile Photo

by whalens Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for the info..Danke

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines