Manila Travel Answers

change location
firefly03's Profile Photo

by firefly03 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Hi there guys! I'm a fresh grad and a newbie in my first job as an accountant. Me and my friend plan to be travel junkies ( we are really adventure lovers!)! But since we're just starting our lives in the corporate world, we don't have a lot of money to satisfy our guilty pleasures of exploring the world! Hahaha! Yet we still dream to travel to some great places with only minimum cash to shell out. I'm wondering if you could give me some travel tips about planning a trip with a so-so budget. Thanks! :)

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Re: Newbie

by atufft Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

My wife and I had the same problem at the close of our respective grad school days many years ago. We had very little money but had to get away for adventure. More than 20 years later, we still travel the same way, not because we are stingy but because in fact some of our favorite places are still cheap to visit. I have several general suggestions, and then you are free to browse my pages for more ideas. First, third world is cheaper than first world. Put Western Europe and Japan off until you are more deep pocketed because it's very hard to travel on the cheap. Cheapest regions to travel in order of price, roughly speaking, are Africa, Southeast Asia, Central America, and South America. Second, find cheap airfare and don't use a travel agent to help you do it. Travel on the cheap is best as partly spontaneous, a thing travel planners don't like, but the airfare needs to be considered carefully because flights to 3rd world nations are generally higher than to Europe and North America. Third, just as in school. Do your homework months in advance. I repeat, skip the travel agent. Be brave, and read, read, read about your target nation or region. General tactic is to only get arrival airport, capital city, hotel stay booked for a few days, then hang around that town asking questions to ensure your best choice of itinerary before heading into the wild. Fourth, take public transit. The rusty bus packed standing room only, or cramped minivan, or listing ferryboat, are not only your cheapest transport, they are best value in terms of adventure. Dress down, hide electronics in the day pack, and join the locals. Meeting people, not architecture alone, is what travel is all about. Fifth, if someone you have met invites you to dinner or a party, say yes!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rastarigo's Profile Photo

by Rastarigo Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Travel the backpacker style. This could mean bunking in dingy claustrophobic space of a room and sharing room with cockroaches and bugs, a bout with the most horrible toilet conditions, live off bland food, endure long road trips and walking for a few miles. All in the name of austerity, I have experienced them all. I remember one of my earlier trips when I explored the northern half of Palawan for one month, I spent less in proportion to the amount of experience I had, the number of islands I saw and days I spent on the island. Not much planning was involved then. I just observe the ways of the local people, where they go, where they eat, chat them up for info etc. I have been doing it in the last 10 yrs and I love every minute of it. You can find hundreds of backpack travelers in the blogosphere and their stories, a lot of them young Filipino backpackers. Read and learn from them.

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo

by DaHongHua Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I do it in the way I can afford. I recalled, during my age of 30's, to have an overnight in Penang hotel ( I live near Penang ) would satisfied my family. Now, I am doing at least an internatinal trip plus some domistic trips. I have yet out of Asia. I want to out from Asia to Australia, NZ and Europe one day. Happy travelling to all.

• firefly03's Profile Photo

by firefly03 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Indeed. Local travel is at the top of our list! :) Thanks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

There are a lot of saving you can do for 2 people or more, I travel alone so it's normally more costly compared to 2 or many. Here's my take:

(1) Research for a destination's budget airlines - i.e. Airasia now flies from Clark to almost all destinations in SEA region. The earlier you buy your tickets, the cheaper they are.

(2) Make use of public transport - i.e. metro, tramvays, bus, tricycles, shared taxis, etc. If you're staying a week or so in one destination, checkout if they have a day pass or any bundle pass. For example, in Istanbul I always have an Istanbul Kart which saves me a lot on all public transports and very convenient, you don't need to queue all the time.

(3) Stay at budget hotels or hostels - with 2 people, you don't need to stay at hostels sometimes, there are a lot of private rooms with or shared bathrooms in many destinations and cost almost the same as a 2 bed/bunk at hostels, with the privacy. Nowadays, there are a lot of private homes stay, people renting their rooms at very reasonable cost + you get to experience local customs, i.e. airbnb, hospitality.org, couchsurfing, etc., take advantage of it - you learn, they earn.

(4) Blend in with the locals and enjoy street foods - they're cheap and delicious, all countries have their own versions. I like Thailand's street food the most.

(5) Research, research, research - planning ahead saves you a lot of money, from transport to accommodations, to free attractions in a lot of destinations.

Will add more later....enjoy your travels....

• Robmj's Profile Photo

by Robmj Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Pick a value destination, Asia is good, countries like Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam are all very affordable, so is the middle east, but pick your country carefully at the moment, I also found South America good, Argentina, but that was back in 2007

by firefly03 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Thanks for your answers guys. We'll definitely make our first travel an unforgettable one!

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM

The main trick to have a budget holiday is research. Virtual Tourist has become as functional as a travel agency which can provide info and suggestions on any destination you can imagine. You have already made a good start with asking opinions of travel gurus here. A package holiday may be tempting as every detail is organized for you, but I always prefer DIY type holidays. I choose my location, I check budget flight options, I arrange my hotel reservations and I prepare my own itinerary. With a good research on transportation and accomodation, you make the main cost management. After that, your research should focus on food and transportation at the location you decided. In VT, you can get some nice restaurant suggestions and learn about tourist traps. If you will be located in Manila and travel around, SEA is easily accessible with budget flights such as Air Asia, Jetstar and Tiger Airways. Having travelled a lot in SEA, Thailand and Cambodia seemed to be the cheapest followed by Vietnam and Malaysia. You can check my travel pages in many locations in this area and you will see that you don't need to spend a fortune to have a great holiday, all you need is some research and sound advice from experts. Enjoy your travels :)

• heydelin's Profile Photo

by heydelin Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Well hello there my co-accountant!

It would be cheaper if you guys travel in a group so you can split up accomodation costs and other things. Make sure that you check on Cebu Pacific's site for promos :) And I have written a travel blog especially for budget conscious traveller like you. :)

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Welcome to VT and love uir foto of the beach. At first i thought it was White Beach, PG but i guess that there would be more boats there. Unfortunately you come from a country that is very economic to travel in so wherever you go you will not find it cheap. If i was you i would start researching other S E Asian Nations such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and Thailand where prices will be cheaper or similar to Philippines. Search for info on this website and also sign on for the promo alerts with Airasia, Cebupacific and Airphilexpress and they will email you of special offers and book immediately before the promo seats are sold out. Another problem is that you have just started your job and you won't be able to travel for long periods!

by firefly03 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

@heydelin! Wow! A Filipina and an accountant as weel Nice! Yeah. I will definitely check your blogs. @davidjo. Yeah right. Being a newbie in my doesn't really give me the luxury to take long vacations. haha. Thanks for the tips.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Why don't you begin with your own country? There's lots to see in the Philippines. As you say, you're just starting out so I don't know how much of a splurge you're willing to do but if you want to explore without breaking the bank, then start right at home.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingnorman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hello Kabayan! Good luck with the corporate world and hope you and your wife have many travels :) Don't forget to accumulate frequent miles - during my time, it was easier to accumulate them and they asked for less miles for a certain trip --- but it still worth it to have them. In my travel life, I think I have used up about two million miles now, but I have been travelling since I was 16. You are so lucky that Cebu Pacific is there right now and I am sure you are aware of their great deals --- go explore Asia! I have used CP for travels to Vietnam, Korea and Thailand when I visit Philippines..... :) Also, look for sponsors, haha --- my sponsor were my parents, haha :) Only use your credit card for travels if you know you can pay for them later (with a large bonus or increase in pay)....you don't want to be in debt later :) And look for tips, tips,tips here on VT....and I save a lot of money by booking months ahead :)

by firefly03 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

@Jumpingnorman. "Good luck with the corporate world and hope you and your wife have many travels :) " -- I am actually a girl. hehe.

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo

by paolodecastro Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

you can try sagada.....would u beleive that my 4days 3 nights stay there only cost me 2500 pesos...all in food accommodation tour...and take note i ate all the specialty food there including paying in a Php 480 dinner on log cabin....

the first thong u have to do is to select the place you want to go...then from there you can do some reaserch on how you can save money...:):):) happy travels.....

Go travel......its fun.....:):):)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingnorman Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

firefly03 wrote:

@Jumpingnorman. "Good luck with the corporate world and hope you and your wife have many travels :) " -- I am actually a girl. hehe.

hahahaha....enjoy your travels :) Hope we jump together someday :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Manila