Manhattan Beach Travel Answers

change location
Callavetta's Profile Photo

Need Manhattan Beach Restaurant

by Callavetta Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM

For Wednesday night to impress colleagues from Australia, but not be overly stuffy. I ought to be able to get some recommendations from you folks!

Katherine

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: Need Manhattan Beach Restaurant

by Dabs Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I enjoyed Houston's (it's a chain of steakhouses) and Il Fornaio for Italian but the person you should ask is G, he is always giving me recommendations on places to eat in the area :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Callavetta's Profile Photo

by Callavetta Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Thanks Kristi! I did email G. What about Rock'n Fish? Is that too casual? The location is perfect, the menu looks great and I can book on OpenTable.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM

:foodmark:

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I wouldn't suggest Rock N Fish if you want to impress, more like a brew pub and if I gave it 3 stars then it wasn't stellar food. I'm a little leery of still recommending Il Fornaio, it's been a couple of years since I've been and some of the recent Yelp reviews are very low. Check with G and see if it's still good. I was contemplating going to Fleming's (another steakhouse, bring lots of cash) the last time I went, some people said it was a good option but I got overruled and we went to the Chart House up in Malibu instead.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I don't know that there is anything in here that will help but these are the responses I got when I asked about restaurants near LAX (some are also in Malibu because I was driving back from Oxnard one night)

VT Forum temporarily unavailable

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

by Callavetta Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thanks Kristi. We have IlFornio here too. I think it's OK, but not special. I am not really looking for blow out expensive special but just unique and different than Sydney. I like the location of Rock'in Fish. We won't have cars and will travel by taxi from downtown LA.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Is there some reason you are going so far from downtown LA? Odinthor recommended a couple of places up in the Malibu area that were on the beach in the thread I gave you a link to that sounded more "California" and perhaps a bit closer to downtown LA than Manhattan Beach (Gladstone's was one). Santa Monica would be closer as well.

You can confirm this with G, but I don't think that Rock n Fish has a beach view if that's what you are going for.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Thanks Dabs!

I agree, if there is a reason for going all the way to Manhattan Beach, then G. would be the local expert.

If on the other hand you simply want a good beach location for a nice time with colleagues, then Malibu would be ideal, and somewhat closer as well. The Sunset is really nice for just such a gathering.

thesunsetrestaurant.com/prof...

Or you may want to check Gladstones, or Moonshadow (where Mel Gibson was before his famous DUI)

http://www.gladstones.com/

http://www.moonshadowsmalibu.com/new/

...or Duke's Malibu. (Duke Kahanamoku is known as the Father of Surfing...)

http://www.dukesmalibu.com/

Or a little further is a favorite Pacific Cove Beach Cafe, right on the beach and a great main restaurant. (biggest lobsters ever)

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/

At the same time you can entertain them with who's neighborhood they are visiting for the evening.....

seeing-stars.com/live/malibu...

Of course, if Manhattan Beach is where you have to be, then this will be of no help to you.......d:o)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM

As far as a restaurant in Manhattan Beach, I would agree that Rock Fish does not have a view of the beach. The windows overlook the street and though it seemed popular, it also seemed small.

However, just across the street is "Beaches" a nice but casual place that does have windows looking out towards the ocean near the Pier.

As far as I could tell, the whole street (Manhattan Beach Boulevard, I believe it's called) was "alive" at night with what seemed to me to be young and upscale clients. I was there on a weekend night, but since you'll be there during the summer, a Wednesday night might be pretty active too.

As for asking Giampiero, I think he's out of town at the moment, so maybe one of the other VT Staffers would be able to give you more information. You might e-mail DiNo and ask what he'd suggest.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines