Manhattan Beach Travel Answers

change location

Shall we stay in Manhattan Beach?

by brightongirl Online Now May 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM

First visit to California, we plan to do the touristy LA stuff (Universal, Hollywood Bowl, Walk of Fame, Beverly Hills etc.) plus Disneyland and also watch LA Galaxy.

Would Manhattan Beach be a good base? Been looking at Santa Monica but it's so much more expensive and, being 1st time vistors, I like the idea of staying at the Marriott residence so we don't have to eat out all the time but still have the security of a hotel/local knowledge.

Thanks in advance...

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Shall we stay in Manhattan Beach?

by mccalpin Online Now May 27, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Well, from my recollection, none of these places are particularly near to Manhattan Beach...but, then, to visit LA properly, you're going to need to drive anyway.

On the positive side, Manhattan Beach (and the other towns right on the coast along here like Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach) are nice places in their own right - you have beach access, the traffic is a little less frantic (even if parking is a mess), and the temperature is MUCH nicer close to the water. There are plenty of bars and restaurants (and tacky tourist places ;-) ) between the water and PCH (Pacific Coast Highway or Highway 1 or Sepulveda, if I have all of those right).

If you're prepared to drive (like us car-crazy Americans), then Manhattan Beach isn't a bad place at all...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Shall we stay in Manhattan Beach?

by sue1147 Online Now May 28, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Travel is a little restrictive unless you have a vehicle however they do have bus services to all Beaches around L.A and of course there are trains your hotel should have plenty of info i.e timetables etc. Manhatton Beach is small and the town although small is busy its also on the Sepulveda hwy, taking in Santa Monica is a must its lively has a beautiful Beach in the evening it comes alive with entertainment and has many bars just a great atmosphere. A tip for you have a look at the VIP TOURS of California (there will be leaflets in the Hotel) We took a 1 day trip that was well worth the money but dont bother with the Movie Star one ...doesn't get anywhere near their homes its money best spent elsewhere.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

by gilescorey Online Now May 28, 2007 at 1:40 PM

And, if you do go to the Bowl for a show(and I recommend you do) try to take public transit, b/c the stacked parking is a NIGHTMARE.

Oh, and don't forget to bring your wine and cheese...it's allowed at the Bowl.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

by heryanta Online Now Jun 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Hi there :)

Manhattan Beach is probably not a good base if you want to see the landmarks in Hollywood, go to Disneyland and Universal Studios.
    I live in Manhattan Beach and without traffic it will take me 20 mins with the car to go to Santa Monica. Disneyland will take about 1 hr on the car.
    LA has poor public transport system so you really need to factor in the price os gas when doing hotel rates comparison.
    Sometimes when I have guests staying here who don't have cars I will book them a seat at a tourist coach that will pick them up and drop them at Universal Studios and back. This costs110 including entry.

It is very safe though and if you don't mind not being able to drink when you go out to Hollywood and Santa Monica, then it's ok to stay in Manhattan Beach (drinking and driving on LA freeway is a baaaaaad idea!).

Otherwise I would recommend Channel Road Inn in Santa Monica (http://www.channelroadinn.com/)
    Let me know if you have more questions on MB :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines