Mandurah Travel Answers

change location

Crabbing Season

by areuinsane2k Online Now Dec 27, 2006 at 5:52 AM

Hi, I would like to find out when is the best time to go to do crabbing at mandurah..and may i know which locations are the best? is the old traffic brdige the only place?

THanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Purpleshade's Profile Photo

RE: Crabbing Season

by Purpleshade Online Now Dec 30, 2006 at 9:01 PM

Hi , I live near Mandurah and have often seen people crabbing off the foreshore park.
    Crabbing time is December to May
    more details here, also about the prawns which 'run' at certain times of the year in the same places.

ecopark.com.au/attractions/c...

and the foreshore park here

Mandurah Things to Do Tips by Purpleshade

Lesley

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

RE: Crabbing Season

by Mikebb Online Now Jan 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Hi The real crabbing season is January to end of March, you can catch crabs either side of this time span. Mandurah bridge is OK but the locals have"Reserved Spots" during peak times. Just tell them to shove off. Crabs are around now, I caught 20 on 29th December, all good sized blue, but I have a boat and caught them near Pinjarra.
    There are 2 methods of crabbing, drop nets used from boats or in deeper water like the Mandurah Bridge. The second method, Scoop Netting is where you can get the most crabs, a scoop net is a wire basket on a broom stick and you walk through the shallow water looking for crabs, be quick and you can scoop them up.Wear shoes whilst doing this. Note there are strict size and catch limits and Fisherises Inspectors can fine you heavily for infringements. Have a look on my Mandurah page.
    Good Luck, Mike

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines