Mandalay Division Travel Answers

change location
AyurinHiro's Profile Photo

Pagan or Bagan, how to get there from Yangon?

by AyurinHiro Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 8:48 AM

Hello VTers! I'm very ineterested in visiting Burma :-) Now I have 2 questions Any advice will be very helpful :-) 1) Hmm this might be a stupid question... but Are Pagan and Bagan are same? or different city? I'd love to visit the place with a lot of pagpdas in the field. Is it Pagan? Bagan? 2) From Yangon, how can I go to Pagan/Bagan? (Time is limited, so I'm looking for the fastest way) By plane? Thank you in advance :-) Ayurin

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • SumTingWong's Profile Photo

Re: Pagan or Bagan, how to get there from Yangon?

by SumTingWong Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 5:27 PM

Hi: Pagan and Bagan are the same city, Bagan is the name that is used today however (Pagan was tghe colonial name and the Myanmese government doesn't like it much). And yes, Bagan is the place with all of the pagodas. The fastest way to get there from Yangon is by air (but you can also take the train or bus). Air Mandalay has a bunch of daily flights to Bagan (Nyaung U), see www.airmandalay.com. I believe the average ticket cost one-way us US$82.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aukjejetty's Profile Photo

long busrides

by aukjejetty Online Now Jun 11, 2004 at 9:07 PM

With limited time I guess flying is a lot better. Busses are slow and not all that comfortable in Myanmar. I just got back from travelling there for 2 weeks, and my last bustrip (from Inle lake to Yangon) took 21 hours (including break-down.) If you take airplane you save at least a day! So, if money is not an issue; fly! Have fun! Aukje

• Re: Pagan or Bagan, how to get there from Yangon?

by paularaemy Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 6:25 AM

I'm planning to go in July alone. I'm looking if other Married couples or older single individuals are interested in going at the same time. I'm flying into Bangkok first, then Chaing Mai and then to Yangoon. From Yangoon to Mandayla with sight-seeing from both cities. I bought the Asia on a shoe string book from year 1995 and it is still helpful. We couldn't get newer version here. Read this book and you can plan your trip better.

• AyurinHiro's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Pagan or Bagan, how to get there from Yangon?

by AyurinHiro Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 2:11 PM

Hello, all! Thank you very much for your advice :-) Very helpful and now I've found good flights from Yangon to Bagan. A lot of pagpdas in the field is my dream scenery. :-) We haven't decided when to go yet... but maybe in October, February or March. Thank you very much again and have a good time! Ayurin :-)

• AyurinHiro's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Pagan or Bagan, how to get there from Yangon?

by AyurinHiro Online Now Jun 15, 2004 at 10:10 AM

Hi,paularaemy Hope you will enjoy your trip in Burma! :-) Ayurin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Mandalay Division Travel Answer Locations