Mandalay Travel Answers

change location

Hotel booking

by ChenLi Online Now Sep 12, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Can anyone suggest some alternative cheap and clean hotels in Mandalay and Bagan that have private shower and toilet please? thanks a lot!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Mique's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel booking

by Mique Online Now Sep 13, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Bagan: Eden Motel. It doesn't look very attractive outside but the rooms are very nice, cheap, clean and they serve a decent breakfast with real coffee.

In Mandalay there is a nice place but i just can't come up with the name right now. Will mail that later

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Hotel booking

by seagypsy Online Now Sep 13, 2007 at 12:35 PM

In Mandalay, the Royal Guesthouse, the ET, Nylon, and Garden are all quite popular with the backpacker crowd and aren't that far from each other BUT of the 4, I prefer the Royal because the owner likes to run a tight ship and keeps the place clean. For a little more upscale, perhaps the Royal City which is also owned by the same same famely

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Sep 14, 2007 at 11:29 PM

The royal is the one i was thinking of. Nice, clean, good location

• bangdong's Profile Photo

by bangdong Online Now Sep 21, 2007 at 3:22 AM

The ones I stay at aren't dirt cheap, but I think they are good value at15 per night:
    Unity Hotel in Mandalay. Good location (the famous chappati stand is right across the street), friendly staff, and good location. Decent cable TV service, power generator (useful for those frequent Mandalay power cuts), very hot water, and good AC.
    NK Betelnut Hotel in New Bagan. Nice, quiet place with huge rooms. They have TV but not much choice for channels. Also have AC and hot water. Very cheap and dependable laundry service too.
    Both of those places offer the usual free breakfast. But I find the eggs & toast offerings very boring, so I eat noodles at a local teashop instead.

• alwloch's Profile Photo

by alwloch Online Now Sep 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM

*Mique, you say the Royal (hotel) is cheap in Mandalay. Do you know anything about getting there by bus from Thailand? I decided not to enter via Muse from China and so will come in via Vietnam and Cambodia into Thailand. Then I was wondering about continuing onto India from Myanmar by boat from Rangoon. Is that possible?

Al ~ still in Canada but am flying into HK in 2 weeks and doing China-Tibet first.

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Sep 25, 2007 at 12:34 AM

No change overland from Thailand into Burma except fro a short (1 day) visa run. So you'll have to fly.

Situation is a bit hectic at the moment but calm enough if you stay out of the way of the demonstrations. Keep an eye on the news.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines