Manchester Travel Answers

change location

Need info. for Manchester, NH

by chrisfleck Online Now Oct 17, 2004 at 3:38 PM

HI! My name is Christine and I wanted to take my best friend only for 2 days somewhere close to home (Edgewood, Md.) for her bday. I saw that airfare is very cheap to Manchester, Providence and Albany. Someone told me that Manchester is the way to go. I know nothing about New England. My friend always likes to go out to clubs and stuff like that.....I'm more of a photographer and like to see nice scenery. Since we only have 2 days and it would be around the end of November or beginning of December, what will it be like and what is there to do with no rental car in downtown Manchester? Where could we stay that's nice and within walking distance of fun things to do? Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • KirstenL4W's Profile Photo

Re: Need info. for Manchester, NH

by KirstenL4W Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 9:05 AM

Not a heck of a lot to do in Manchester. There are a few clubs, but they've probably changed since I was in college. I recommend renting a car so you can take at least part of a day and get out of the city to see the scenery. Maybe it's because I grew up near there, but I don't see Manchester itself as a tourist destination. Most people fly in and out of there because they are going further north in NH or going to southern NH or northern MA and it's much much easier than flying into Boston. I've also spent a bit of time in Albany and there's not much there either unless you're heading into the country. If I had a couple of days I'd pick Providence. There's supposed to be a giant Mr. Potato Head somewhere, if I remember correctly, and its close to the Newport mansions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

Re: Need info. for Manchester, NH

by diver-x Online Now Oct 25, 2004 at 9:26 AM

I agree with Kirsten. I also grew up near Manchester and lived there for a while and I don't think it would be a place that's terribly interesting for the casual tourist. Public transportation is very limited so without a car I think you'd be bored silly. I would recommend Providence since there are more public transportation opportunities there. You could also easily get to Boston by bus or train from Providence.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

RE: Need info. for Manchester, NH

by gilescorey Online Now May 12, 2005 at 8:51 PM

You've picked a tough time to go to Manchester. The peak foliage is long gone and the Winter Skiing has yet to begin. I'd take Manchester over Albany, but that's not saying much ;)

Manchester is an interesting small city, but I doubt it would be enough to maintain your interest. It's best as a starting point to the White Mountains or The Monadnock Region. Providence is better for nightlife, HANDS DOWN, but if you want to tackle scenery, Manchester will be more diverse...but, it's an ugly time of year! No foliage and little snow. Don't know what to tell you...

Except, you can fly into Manchester cheap, rent a car, and hit some amazing scenery(seacoast, colonial New England, White Mountains) and then re-direct to Boston, only 55 miles South. And Portsmouth, 1.25 hrs. East is a fun spot. But, Manchester.... Cheap airfare and a central location. For Better or Worse, that's Manchester's trump card.

Have fun.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines