Manchester Travel Answers

change location

Salford Lads Club

by gazstrong Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Hi folks

Ive posted previously in this forum that I will be visiting Manchester and staying in Salford Quays in December. I would like to visit Salford lads club, i dont expect to be allowed inside, i would just like to see it as its an iconic image from my youth. What i would like to know is it is in a safe area to walk to from Salford Quays as i see from google maps it is only 15/20 mins walk away. I have read that tourists have been robbed in this area frequently. I would be doing this in the morning with my wife and young son and am used to travelling around big cities not dressed like a tourist.

Regards
Gary

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • davesut's Profile Photo

Re: Salford Lads Club

by davesut Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I would say that the estate nearby is one area not to be walking in during the hours of darkness.

Now the good news. Salford Lads Club is in full view of the main Regent Road. From the Quays I suggest you walk along the main road, Trafford Road to roundabout, turn right and a couple of hundred yards you will see the club front set back from the road on the right. Don't think about cutting through the estate, it's what I would call minimising the risk.

If you are used to travelling around cities then you will be able to assess the risk when you get nearby. There is likely to be no problem at all but I'm afraid whilst the frequency of crime may be exaggerated, it is one of the highest areas for crime in the City of Salford which incidentally is older and larger by area than the City of Manchester.

A couple of things to remember, a tour highlighting parts of the local area made famous by a certain band of the 80s always stops at this place. If it was so dangerous then they would not stop there and crime in the area is much less today than in the days of THAT photo shoot.

I think you should go, you don't want to be the person to say, "I started something but now I'm not so sure." If you miss out one could say What Difference does it Make but imo no need to Panic, trust This Charming Man although don't come back when it goes belly up and complain that my Big Mouth Strikes Again.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Manchester