Manchester Travel Answers

change location
debi9topaz2's Profile Photo

What to do, day and night for One Day in Manchester

by debi9topaz2 Online Now Feb 22, 2004 at 10:11 AM

I'm going to be visiting Manchester for one day and one night. I will be staying at the Mitre Hotel, and would like any ideas of what to do during the day and also a nice pub and restaurant to go to at night. I would prefer to stay away from a place that is touristy. thanks for your help ; )

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • sandysmith's Profile Photo

Re: What to do, day and night for One Day in Manchester

by sandysmith Online Now Feb 22, 2004 at 10:39 AM

Don't know if you are into museums but the Salford Quays - a short tram link ride from centre of Manchester has the renowned Lowry centre and the War Museum - quite a novel exoerience that and the views from the top are great. There are shops and cinema and cafe complexes there too. Plenty of info on my Salford page if interested. There are plenty of good pages by VT members on Manchester too - so have a browse and see what takes your fancy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What to do, day and night for One Day in Manchester

by orlikins Online Now Feb 23, 2004 at 12:24 PM

For shopping, check out the Trafford Centre, it's brilliant. Places like Albert Sq, St Anne's Sq have nice architecture. The only all-out touristy place (IMO!) i can think of in Manchester would be the Manchester United grounds in Old Trafford. Orla

• monkeyfeesh's Profile Photo

Re: What to do, day and night for One Day in Manchester

by monkeyfeesh Online Now Feb 24, 2004 at 11:37 AM

If you're staying in the Mitre there's a good pub right in front of it - Sinclair's Oyster Bar. Very, very cheap and a good proper pub. It does get very busy at the weekend so if you want a seat it's best to go in early. Other than that I'd recommend a few places up in the Northern Quarter - Fringe Bar, the Beer House, the Marble Arch. It's hard to narrow it down without knowing a bit more about what you're looking for - we've got a good selection of more traditional style pubs along with trendy and more relaxed bars. You don't really have to worry about places being touristy - there's nowhere in Manchester like that. For daytime you're very well placed - if you want to go shopping you're right near Selfridges, Harvey Nicks, the Triangle and the Arndale. If you want a bit of culture, the City Art Gallery is only five/ten minutes walk away, as is the Portico Library. The Museum of Science and Industry isn't too far away either, just about 10-15 minutes walk down Deansgate. All these places are free admission. You could also take a metrolink ride out to the Lowry centre and the Imperial War Museum. For restaurants I'd recommend Dmitri's, which is right near the Museum of Science and Industry, an excellent mediterranean tapas bar/restaurant. I'd recommend Koreana or the Yang Sing for Oriental/Asian cuisine; the Nawaab up on Rochdale Road for Indian. Or for something a little different, there's a Lebanese restaurant called the Cedar Tree which I really like.

• debi9topaz2's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What to do, day and night for One Day in Manchester

by debi9topaz2 Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 1:55 PM

The shopping, pubs, and museums sound wonderful Thank you all for your great suggestions. I'm looking forward to the trip : ) Debbie

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Manchester