Manarola Travel Answers

change location
cdnagent's Profile Photo

trains from La Spezia and Manarola

by cdnagent Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Hello,

I am trying to find out the train schedules between La Spezia and Manarola. Do you know if reservations are required on that regional train?

Thank you
Jim

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: trains from La Spezia and Manarola

by HansDK Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Timetables: ferroviedellostato.it/homepa...

I don't think you can reserve seats on regional trains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Use the website that Hans gave you; it is the official one.

No, you cannot reserve seats on regional trains, even if you wanted to. Most of the trains between these two towns don't even have a first class section - think of a regional train as a bus on rails. So, no buying in advance; just show up at the station, buy a ticket, validate it near the track (puts a date and time stamp on it), then get on the train...if there are no empty seats, you stand - just like on the bus ;-)

Bill

• ssolot's Profile Photo

by ssolot Online Now May 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM

This is not an answer, it's a question. My group is in a similar situation. We're staying in Tuscany and want to go to Cinque Terre for a day trip. Right now the plan is to drive our rental car to Luca,(about 10k's from our villa) take a train to LaSpezia, and then take a train to the 1st of the 5 towns (I believe it's Manarola) and then walk. When we get tired, we'll just jump back on a train to LaSpezia. Based on the map I have, it appears that we should get round-trip tickets from LaSpezia to Levanto which stops in all the towns. Is this the right way to do this??? Also, I can't seem to find a website that shows train schedules from LaSpezia to Levanto and then return from Levanto to LaSpezia. Should I be looking for schedules from LaSpezia to Genoa instead???

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now May 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Steve, I suggest you repost this as a new thread under one of the 5 towns (there is no Cinque Terre forum) - I doubt it will matter which one.

Note that there is something called a Cinque Terre card, which not only gives you free rail travel on the regional lines between La Spezia and Levanto, but also gives you access to a number of things in the Park. What I don't know is if any of the items listed at
    parconazionale5terre.it/5ter...
    would affect people just walking from town to town.

I have also heard that some of the trails are steeper than others. So this is why I would encourage you to repost this, to get the feedback from people who have actually been there (I know I have seen references to this in previous posts), to help you evaluate which town you want to start in.

Also note that for all practical purposes, there is no such thing as a round trip train ticket - it's two one way tickets (there is no discount for R/T). And at stations like La Spezia, when you get back to the station from the CT, you can use the machines (I assume La Spezia is big enough to have some) or the ticket window to buy the ticket back to Lucca.

Also note that you want the regional trains, not the IC (InterCity) trains that run on the same line through the Cinque Terre. The IC trains don't stop at all stations, are more expensive, and require reservations (which, however, you can get when you walk up, if there are free seats)...

OK?

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines