Manarola Travel Answers

change location
marybutton's Profile Photo

Weather in May

by marybutton Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:02 PM

Any ideas of what type of weather to expect in May? Looking forward to hiking the Cinque Terre & also hiking near Santa Margherita. Thanks

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • utttz's Profile Photo

Re: Weather in May

by utttz Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:11 PM

may can be perfect or heavy raining.... termperatures are usually perfect for walking but still cold for swimming... med standard :-) if you're used to north sea, melbourne area or similar temperatures will be perfect for swinng too. the only problem can be rain as rainy weeks are not rare.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marybutton's Profile Photo

Re: Weather in May

by marybutton Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for your quick response, Paolo! We'll have to hope we hit a dry week. I plan on bringing a gortex jacket and plan on hiking if at all possible. It probably will be too cold for this Californian to go swimming, unless I work up a good sweat on the hiking trail! I'm really looking forward to the trip. Happy Trails.

• utttz's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Weather in May

by utttz Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:25 PM

the ocean I've tried in frisco was colder than the colder sea I've ever tried here :-) about hiking near Santa, I suggest you to go from portofino vetta to san fruttuoso. remember to enjoy food as well while here :-)

by marybutton Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! Actually we are planning on hiking in S.Marg and if all goes well, we'll hike through Camogli, San Fruttuoso, Portofino and Paraggi. I'm figuring a few days in S.Marg, a few days in CinqueTerre, a few days in Chiani & then finishing up in Lucca where I have Italian relatives. Definitely looking forward to the food. I was in Lucca in 1999 and my mouth still waters when I think of some of the meals we had! Cheers!

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:35 PM

whe leaving the cinque terre, try a boat to portovenere... not confortable as you'll have to boat to portovenere and than bus to spezia train station but I think portovenere from the sae is unmissable! btw forget the car in cinqueterre!

by marybutton Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:40 PM

Thanks; I've already heard that a car in the Cinque Terre is a BAD IDEA. We won't pick up the car until we visit Chianti. I want a car in Chianti so we can visit San Giamagnano, Volterra etc etc. Looking foward to trying some local Chianti wine, too.Boat trip to Portofino will be fine if weather permits. I get sea sick easily.

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:52 PM

spare the boat trip for portovenere! portofino is almost the same from land....

by marybutton Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:59 PM

Oops! I meant Porovenere, not Portofino. I mis-typed!

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 4:03 PM

take care LOL once there was a little meeting planned jenn_d, jonny_ca and other members coming from cinque terre. we agreed to meet at sestri levante station but they eventually got off the train at levanto :-) poor pollon had to drive an our to pick hem up!!!!

• jmac75's Profile Photo

by jmac75 Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 10:43 AM

Paolo you forgot me already! I was involved in that meeting, and boy did we have a fantastic time! We were there in early April and it was chilly. While hiking I wore long pants, tennies and a tshirt and carried a sweater for when we stopped to walk around the villages. When we were catching the train to meet up with Uttz and Chiara it got very windy so I say dress in layers! Luckily we did not have rain until we went to Rome. BTW- it was amazing! Jenn_D and Johnny_Ca have pics from our trip, sadly mine were blasted from my system. Have a great time!

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 10:46 AM

HI! it was simply too long to name all the people in that "little" meeting... :-) but I think no one will forget the difference beetween levanto and sestri levante. about weather, anyway usually may is much warmer than april!

• jmac75's Profile Photo

by jmac75 Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 10:50 AM

Well then I must come back in May sometime!!! ANd yes I know I will never forget the difference... :-)

by marybutton Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 10:54 AM

I plan on doing the layering. Clothing isn't a problem for me since I have my own company & we make running apparel. I hope it's warm & dry, but I plan on having a great trip no matter the weather. Thanks for all the help. I'll post pictures when I return. Ciao!

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 10:54 AM

you can come THIS may: three days at the official european meeting in verona (6th, 7th, 8th) then hike in the 5 terre!

• jmac75's Profile Photo

by jmac75 Online Now Feb 9, 2005 at 5:41 PM

ooh that sounds great, but I'm starting a new job and I"m afraid they won't allow the vacation until I've been there 3 months. Post lots of pics!

• utttz's Profile Photo

by utttz Online Now Feb 10, 2005 at 10:45 AM

wewill :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines