Manado Travel Answers

change location

Self Travel in Manado

by etech120 Online Now May 20, 2009 at 11:00 PM

My wife and myself will be going to Manado in early June.
As a travel agency quoted us quite costly for 3 nights stay with half day sightseeing to Bunaken (we are not divers), 1 day to Minahasa and city tour as the package is only for two of us.
Can someone advise if we can move around on our own to those above mentioned places ? Or is there tourist group we can join so the cost is cheaper ?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • sahel578's Profile Photo

Re: Self Travel in Manado

by sahel578 Online Now May 21, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I dont mean this the wrong way,and please dont take offense, but if you are not divers, why go to Manado?
    My husband and I were there last summer (we're divers) and the hotel that we stayed at was reasonably priced, if terribly false advertised. We were there 8 days, including 3 meals per day and all our diving for1200. (To give a little perspective, diving is typically about50 per diver for every two dives. We were doing about 4 dives per day, each). The hotel had none of the amenities advertised and had lost funding to remodel several years before. Of course, this is not what was sold to us by our travel agent or their website. Anyhow, long story short, it wasnt what we were expecting, but it we were able to make due.

I think you wouldnt have much trouble moving about on your own, if you were able to rent a car or you could probably hire a driver for a reasonable price. I would try to get a tour of the countryside as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Self Travel in Manado

by etech120 Online Now May 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Thanks for your advice.

• pPamela's Profile Photo

Re: Self Travel in Manado

by pPamela Online Now May 22, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Hi,
    For information on Sulawesi have a look at this website built for Daud by a traveller.
    http://www.daudtoraja.com/
    Daud is a lovely young man I met in Tana Toraja in Nov 2006. I did not use him as a guide because I had already made contact with the wonderful Dodo in Makasaar and he organised my guide Yatim for the funeral.
    Maybe contact Daud and see what he suggests to go and see.
    Wait a few days for a reply because he may be away on tour or in many cases the guides only go to the internet every few days not every day like we do.
    Pamela.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines