Manado Travel Answers

change location
sybille's Profile Photo

Re: Budget Accommodation in Manado

by sybille Online Now Jan 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Selamat Tahun Baru!

could someone possibly help me with hotel recommendations in Manado City. I need to stay in Manado and looking for a hotel around IDR100.000-IDR150.000 for one night, 1 person. Any suggestions are welcome, but it needs to be in Manado, as I need to meet up with some people there. Thank you very much!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Budget Accommodation in Manado

by cgf Online Now Jan 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I saw different little hotels in Manado, I wouldn't trust one of them, ok to do not going to Gran Puri or Ritzy (not bad this one even it has seen better time) but I beleive you'd better ask to people you're going to meet if they know about a good cheap place or/and if you're in manado before/after bunaken for diving, ask to the dive people there, they could make the reservation for you.
    Last year, before I've been there, I looked on net and I chose Ritzy before Bunaken and after lembeh, one night both times.. sometime is nice a good (real) bed and a shower with hot water.. just to make a change :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sybille's Profile Photo

by sybille Online Now Jan 31, 2008 at 10:11 PM

How much did you pay at the Ritzy? I can get the Hotel Minahasa for US$30, which is a bit more than I want to pay. Where are you at the moment, still diving in SE Asia? I'll be in the Philippines late February to the middle of March, and then Manado, Lembeh and Sorong from 14 March onward. To Bali and Sumatra afterwards. If you are still around that part of the world, it would be cool to meet up for a drink. bye for now, Sybille

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

In Indonesia I've been in Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh (and Toraja) last August.
    I've been back in SE Asia for Xmas, one month ago I was in Mabul where there is (also) a backpacker loge there, its name is Uncle's Chang lodge and it is very cheap.. and you're close to Sipadan. www.sipadanbackpackers.com
    here a video I made Dec, 31st
    youtube.com/watch?v=R77ooMid...

S.E.Asia soon? At moment S.E.Asia is not planed for the future, I'm going to change home within two months, afterward maybe one last-minute for a week at red sea, as it's not very far from where I live (about 4 hours plane).
    Thank you for calling to have a cool beer together.. it may happen one day.... who knows? The Great Barrier Reef is in my whishing list.....

At Ritzy I payed 495,000/night (for me it's been less then 40 euro, toady it should be 36) with breakfast (for two) and all taxes and service were inclued. I booked directly, enquiring with an email AND asking if it could have been possible to leave all diving gear for a week meanwhile we went to Toraja, they did it (free of charge) so I booked.
    did you have a look at www.asiarooms.com/indonesia/manado.html ? Hotel Minahasa is not suggested and that makes me thinking but it could be becase it's too cheap. here www.manadosafaris.com/hotels/minahasa.html it seem nice and 30 bucks for A/C Room included Tax, service, breakfast it's not bad (expeccially if the room has its own bathroom)

BTW watch where you walk in Manado, there are a lot of hole in the street, enjoy your trip :-)

by sybille Online Now Feb 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Good Luck with your move!

I have dived at Bunaken and Lembeh before, also Mabul and Sipadan. Actually I was really lucky, I was at Sipadan in April 2004, and at that stage you could still stay on the island, which was pretty cool. The Great Barrier Reef is great, but you need to do it as a live-aboard, and go out to Osprey Reef and the Cod Hole. That's 12-14 hours by boat from Cairns, but most companies these days include a flight to Lizard Island, which only takes one hour, giving people more time to dive. The dive sites close to Cairns (90 minutes by boat to get there) are not very interesting, as too many people go there every day.
    Actually Manado Safaris are a good company, I know Jeremy and they offered me the Minahasa Hotel for US$30. Hope to meet you one day. cheers, Sybille

• Re: Re: Budget Accommodation in Manado

by pangtidor Online Now Feb 4, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Hi Sybille...
    You may not get the hotel (international standard) within that price in Manado. It could be the price for hostel or hotel melati in local languange, very modest accomodation. Most probably without AC (only fan), without bathtub, and with Indonesian bathroom-toilet style. Look at my picture in the warning-danger tips:wet common toilet. It is the bathroom for hotel melati type. It will be difficult for booking online. There is a good website about Manado. Open www.visit-manado.com and click the hotel-budget hotel. At website home, click the logo visit manado at the bottom of the page. You will find the address, telephone number (texts are acceptable) by clicking that page. Try to enquiry the price or the bookings. Manado safari is a good tour and travel agency but the price is more expensive than others. Too bad you can be in Manado after March 14. I might be there in the first week of March, we could explore Manado together. :-)
    Looks like a long wonderful vacation in Southeast Asia ha? :-))
    Saly

by sybille Online Now Feb 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Hi Saly, good to hear from you again. I'll be staying at Minahasa Lagoon for a few days, and then at Lembeh Resort for a few days, before flying to Sorong on 21 March. These two places are work related, as normally I can't afford to stay in such luxury resorts, but I am sure I'll enjoy it a lot :-)) The night in Manado, I have to pay for myself, and I have stayed at Hotel Celebes before, so I might go there again. When will you be back in Manado, after March I mean?

• Re: Re: Budget Accommodation in Manado

by travelmanialady Online Now Feb 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM

May be going to Manado in July if God will. Still have to do some paperwork here first for the next vacation. Will inform you. Really hoping to see you in Manado someday. We want to learn how to dive when we have time. I am sure you will get a great vacation in Manado and Indonesia. I saw the warning for the higher rainfall in March on the local paper. Please inquire it when you are in Manado.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines