Manado Travel Answers

change location

Travel advice - Is it safe?

by Olz Online Now Apr 26, 2005 at 11:45 AM

Hi, My girlfriend and i are planning a trip i august to North-Sulawesi. We only
have one month and plan to stay relatively long a few places and dive/relax.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Denmark, says don't go to Poso, and we don't plan to. But they also writes about a potential risk of getting kidnapped by Philipinese terrorists? What's your oppinion about that risk? They don't warn about the Philipines? The same oppinion is posted ont the foreign affairs departments of the US, Australis, Canada and so on. To me it seems a political issue?! Whats your oppinion?

Did anyone of you travel as a couple (man/woman)? I think about travelling in religious areas without being legally married, and do anyone had any issues as a woman traveller?

General travel advises, on the Bunaken, Manado, Lembeh areas is warmly welcome! :)

Cheers.
Kristian
Denmark

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • hunwagner's Profile Photo

RE: Travel advice - Is it safe?

by hunwagner Online Now Apr 28, 2005 at 10:28 PM

North Sulawesi is one of the safest places in Indonesia, or indeed anywhere - that advice about being kidnapped is pure ***, based simply on the relative proximity of the southern Philippines.
    No one has ever been kidnapped by Philippine terrorists anywhere in Indonesia!
    Religious areas? Sure - but they are mostly Christians up there!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xty's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel advice - Is it safe?

by xty Online Now May 1, 2005 at 4:23 AM

Check this 2 threads I made recently regarding Manado/Bunaken:
    forum.virtualtourist.com/3/d...
    forum.virtualtourist.com/3/d...

• wanderer101's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel advice - Is it safe?

by wanderer101 Online Now May 8, 2005 at 8:23 PM

hi kris manado is safe and great place for diving or snorkel, in oct '04 i stayed in bunaken for Rp100.000 per night plus 3 meals i did not go diving but did the snorkel just about 200 meter from the beach, great fishes, reef and the drop into the dark ocean, i saw a school of barracuda, sea snake, parrot fish, anemone if you lucky you can also see a napoleon fish.

the cottage right on the beach don't forget to bring the mosquito repelent as in august are hot, humid and crowded you might wanna book first to get the room or diving package.

other option is tomohon city is about 25 km from manado on the mountain side, cool weather, you can also hiking to mount mahawu for about 1 hour very easy climbing great few on top.

on the way back stop by at tomohon local market that you can find people sell dog meat, snake, rat, bat and local fruit like mangosteen, very delicious durian if you can stand the smells and rambutan and mango.

nice people great food very spicy, grill fish (ikan bakar) is my favorite,
    manado special food are dog meat, bat meat (paniki) both are very spicy.

check this site for more info before you go.north-sulawesi.org/acknowled...

have a nice trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines