Mammoth Lakes Travel Answers

change location
HELEN's Profile Photo

Ice Skating and/or Sledding

by HELEN Online Now Feb 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Can anyone recommend a good place to go sledding or Ice skating in Mammoth?
Thank you in advance!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • sandyn's Profile Photo

Re: Ice Skating and/or Sledding

by sandyn Online Now Feb 15, 2011 at 11:14 PM

For ice skating, there is a fairly new (2008) ice rink (Mammoth Lakes Ice Rink) on Meridian. I haven't tried it, however. You can sled almost anywhere you can find a slope, but we have gone along the Mammoth Scenic Loop to find a slope away from traffic. What I would really recommend is to drive along Minaret Rd (the main road to Mammoth Mountain Main ski lodge) and a few minutes out of town you'll see a place called SLEDZ on the right that has a rope tow up a groomed hill and then inner tubes for sledding down. My kids have always loved it--you go pretty fast and its a nice smooth ride. Here's a bit about sledding from visitmammoth.com:
    "Rock Creek Road is approximately 15 minutes south of Mammoth Lakes and is plowed all the way to East Fork Snopark where there is a variety of areas where you can snow play and sled.
    There is also a large hill approximately 15 minutes north of Mammoth Lakes on Hwy 395 on the southbound side where the divided highway ends, just before Deadman Summit and anywhere on the Scenic Loop Road as long as you are not parked on or sledding on the road." Mammoth is beautiful--have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HELEN's Profile Photo

Re: Ice Skating and/or Sledding

by HELEN Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Thank you for your suggestions, very helpful. Unfortunately, the ice staking rink is not operating for the 2010-2011 season. That was a bummer, as we were looking forward to some ice skating. We did find some good sledding practically in out back yard.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines