Mammoth Lakes Travel Answers

change location
chewy3326's Profile Photo

Hiking in Ansel Adams Wilderness

by chewy3326 Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 1:27 PM

I'm planning a trip to Yosemite-Mammoth Lakes in June, and will probably be in Mammoth Lakes in late June. At the moment, I've planned to do a very long day hike to Thousand Island Lake, but I'm not sure of that is possible, so could anyone give me an estimation of the time needed to hike there? Or would Garnet Lake be a better choice? Lastly, how much snow will be around that elevation in late June? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Hiking in Ansel Adams Wilderness

by juiceman69 Online Now Jun 18, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Hey I will be going to gARNET LAKE ON FRIDAY JUNE 30TH HAVE MY WILDERNESS PERMIT AND READY TO GO WITH A FEW FRIENDS..iT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME AND HAVE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH ON THIS TRIP AND GARNET LAKE IS AROUND 4 HRS FROM THE TRAILHEAD.sHADOW LAKE TAKES AN EASY HOUR TO GET TOO THEN ANOTHER 2.5 HRS TO EDIZA LAKE.iTS 4.6 MILES TO GARNET LAKE FROM SHADOW LAKE IF YOUR TAKING THE JOHN MUIR TRAIL.hERS AN EXCELLENT MAP THAT TOOK ME LOTS OF SEARCHING TO COME ACROSS HOPE IT HELPS.yOU CAN ALSO TAKE THE RIVER TRAIL STRAIGHT TO GARNET BUT THIS YEAR WE GOT ALOT OF SNOW LIKE TWICE THE NORM SO IT MIGHT BE TO SLIPPERY AND SNOWY TO TAKE THE RIVER TRAIL UNTIL LATE JULY THERE WILL BE SNOW THERE.

sierranevadawild.gov/modules...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goingsolo's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking in Ansel Adams Wilderness

by goingsolo Online Now Jun 17, 2007 at 4:20 PM

I think Thousand Lakes is about 7.5 miles one way, which would make for a long but doable dayhike. There may be more info on this website: www.highsierratopix.com. Also, check out mammothweather.com for the latest snow reports.

We're headed to Mosquito Flats area next weekend. I hear there is a good amount of snow above the 10000 foot level, but I'm not sure about the area you're visiting. Can't wait to hear about the hikes though. Will be back in Mammoth Lakes in August. Have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines