Mammoth Lakes Travel Answers

change location

La to Mammoth

by Ninka Online Now Apr 4, 2003 at 5:05 AM

Does anyone know an easy, yet not too expensive, way to get to Mammoth Lakes from Los Angeles (and back)? A) I do not drive, so can't get there by rental car. B) I want to go on a Wednesday, but can only find busses that go on a Saturday C) as I am only going for 4 days (back to LA on Sunday), I dont want to be wasting my time travelling for more than 9/10 hours. any help greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • american_tourister's Profile Photo

Re: La to Mammoth

by american_tourister Online Now Apr 4, 2003 at 6:19 AM

You are probably SOL. There is no rail that I know of, the airfare is ridiculous and the busses run infrequently. Sorry, but cars are the best way to go. Welcome to California.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ye_Old_Curiosity's Profile Photo

Re: Re: La to Mammoth

by Ye_Old_Curiosity Online Now Apr 4, 2003 at 6:23 AM

I recommend you study real hard and get your license. lol.

• Re: La to Mammoth

by YouthinAsia Online Now Apr 4, 2003 at 7:34 AM

You might not believe it but get yourself a fishing pole and hitchhike. Many people who wouldn't stop for a hitchhiker will give a lift to someone who looks like they're going fishing - even more so than skiing or snowboarding (easier to fit into a car also). You can catch a bus back on the weekend. Hell, you might even want to actually fish up there. Convict Lake and the lakes around Mamoth are great fishing and season will open soon.

• CaliforniaLance's Profile Photo

Re: Re: La to Mammoth

by CaliforniaLance Online Now Apr 9, 2003 at 9:23 PM

Had a Danish girlfriend living with me in So-Cal without a license...life was hell for her. Get license ASAP and buy P.O.S. car. Or grab a pole and thumb it...

• Re: La to Mammoth

by Ninka Online Now Apr 10, 2003 at 12:11 PM

thanks for the input. i feared as much! do think there's a gap in the market there. the bus service from vancouver airport to whistler is amazing, they should do a daily run from LAX to Mammoth. can't believe mammoth tourist board haven't set that up yet.. oh well!!

• Re: Re: La to Mammoth

by YouthinAsia Online Now Apr 11, 2003 at 8:50 AM

Try Craig's List for the LA area (if you're not familiar just do a Yahoo or Google search for "Craig's List". There are often people on it looking for, or offering to share, rides to Mammoth. With all the recent snow their season is likely to run through April. Good luck.

• Re: Re: La to Mammoth

by sam100 Online Now Apr 15, 2003 at 11:27 AM

you might also want to check out http://forums.mammothmountain.com/ sometimes people post looking for people to share the trip.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Re: La to Mammoth

by bruingirl Online Now Aug 25, 2003 at 4:02 PM

I agree w/ the last couple of postings. Try craigslist.org and see if anyone is going. Or, you can post an ad yourself and see if anyone wants to pick you up for company. Most ppl on CL are pretty cool.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines